You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/08/2017 9:16 pm  #1

Night Sky Over Algonquin - Composite

This is a composite image.  Foreground taken at blue hour from the Lookout Trail, Stars taken over Lake of Two Rivers.

Still not sure if I like this or not....I know it's a little "fake" looking so I'm on the fence

1/09/2017 7:28 am  #2

Re: Night Sky Over Algonquin - Composite

I really like it, Steve! But please fill me in, what is the "blue hour"?

Tracy

Last edited by Blobsquatch (1/09/2017 7:29 am)

1/09/2017 8:59 am  #3

Thanks Tracy!  Blue hour is that period of time right after the "Golden Hour".  Golden hour is that time before sunset where the light is soft and "golden" (great time for pictures).  Blue hour is the period of time between golden hour and darkness.  The light is minimal and there is a blue tone to the light, but there is still some visible detail.

1/09/2017 9:14 am  #4

I like it. Are you on the fence because of the result, or is it just your conscience knowing that it's a composite? 

I've come to realize that a lot of amazing shots are composites. In this case the 'nice to have' piece would be the clear starlit sky from the same location so that it was a "real" place.

BTW - When was the shot taken from the Lookout Trail? The colors in the trees look a lot like an early spring one I took a couple years ago.

1/09/2017 11:36 am  #5

Thanks Rob...I think it's because I know it's a composite.  I haven't done a lot of those so it's a bit of a new thing for me so I don't know if I'm having an internal ethical battle over it lol.. I have plans to do a shoot up there again on my next visit with some new tips and some new pano gear so hopefully I can get a clear night.

If I recall (I'm at work at the moment) my foreground was taken in December.  Love your shot by the way.  Such a great view eh?

1/10/2017 3:53 pm  #6

Ethical battle be damned, it looks great. These days the picture is just the starting point - great photos are often as much a testament to the photographer's skill with editing tools as with the camera. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.