You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/06/2017 9:48 am  #1

Snow, a bored canoe, and a quinzee.

We had snow a little south of Buffalo last night.  Forecast called for 4-8 inches (20cm), we got a little over 2 feet (65-70cm).  4 inches per hour for five hours.  Lake snows do what they want.  The photo isn't great, but the garage lighting made the canoe very conspicuous while I cleared the driveway.  Can't decide if it was longing for spring, looking down its' nose at the snow in derision, or just laughing at me.  It cops some real attitude sometimes. 

The snow was lightweight, so I took advantage of the volume to start work on a quinzee.  It was a good deal taller than this when I stopped.  After the snow does some quality "sintering", I'll work on it with my kids.  I doubt I'll ever need one in the deep woods, but the survival concepts about warmth, protection, insulation, condensation, ventilation, etc., are useful year round, and those skills are best gained through hands-on experience. I did a quickie-play version with some cub scouts recently.

1/06/2017 10:14 am  #2

Re: Snow, a bored canoe, and a quinzee.

Good for you for getting out there and doing it!  I spent a few days over Christmas building one with my 9 year old in our backyard.  It was a great way to spend some time with my son outdoors and to teach him a bit about this stuff.  And lets be honest, what grown man doesn't love building a fort?  Unfortunately we got hit with warm weather and it melted before we were able to sleep in it

1/06/2017 11:07 am  #3

Beautiful! I genuinely love winter. We do a lot of x country skiing and we just spent a weekend at a lodge up near Algonquin (with Ski trails in Algonquin). 

I've never tried to build a Quinzee but maybe I'll try this year!

1/06/2017 3:17 pm  #4

Looks like there's lots of snow up in the park eh?  Nice!

1/09/2017 9:17 am  #5

That pic was taken over New Years at the Algonquin EcoLodge. We were in the very southern tip of the park (closest to the Kingscote access) and it was perfect!

It was light, fluffy and deep which nicely softens the blow of falling down, which I did quite a bit. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.