You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/25/2016 11:33 am  #1

Winter Status

Good morning all! When does the park typically make the switch to winter protocol? Is it Dec 1st or depending on the weather. I know last year they didn't have any snow till very near the end of Dec. Looking at the web cam looks like winter is under way specially with Fork lake frozen. Can't wait to try out my new tent!

I'm just gone Fishin!

11/25/2016 6:28 pm  #2

Re: Winter Status

It varies every year and is not necessarily dependent upon there being snow.  I went last year around Dec 9 and there was no snow however they had just initiated the winter protocol.  You're best to call the park and they can tell you for certain. 

11/26/2016 7:09 pm  #3

Thanks Steve! Doing another Dec trip? Hoping to get half doz trips in this year myself,

I'm just gone Fishin!

11/26/2016 9:21 pm  #4

I asked the warden in Killarney that last week, and he said that they switch as soon as there is enough snow on the ground that people start building fires outside of the fire pits. Same for the thunderbox. He said it was too much mess to clean up in the spring

11/29/2016 7:06 pm  #5

Every year there seems to be confusion depending on who you ask at the Park in terms of when the official winter rules kick in.  I had heard (and thought myself) that it was when there was enough snow on the ground, but when I went last year there was no snow and nothing was frozen and I was told by two park staff members that the winter rules had kicked in...It made it tough to plan as I half expected to get up there and be told that the winter rules weren't actually in effect yet lol...

Splakin' I'm hoping to get up in January or February...we just got back from a trip in October and until I retire I can't really get away more than 3 or 4 times a year (ergo the countdown to retirement!!!)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.