You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/11/2016 9:17 pm  #1

Am I too late ?

Hi folks ... a voice from the old site. This is my first post on the new site ... really looks impressive.  

So i might be able to get up to the park for a night or two this week. From looking at the color reports the maples seems to be past peak ... so I'm wondering if anyone has been there really recently that can give me a sense if there still some decent colors left?

I'm thinking of just staying along hwy 60 ... any recommended hikes?  Photo ops ?

thanks ! 

10/11/2016 10:42 pm  #2

Re: Am I too late ?

I was there on Saturday/Sunday, colours were spectacular, but I think I made it just for the end of their peak.

As of yesterday, the Algonquin Fall Colour Report was at "Peak". I just looked right now, and it's at "Just Peaked", where it will probably stay for the next few days to a week.

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/visit/general_park_info/fall-colour-report.php

Are you planning on camping, or just hiking? I camped on Harness and then hiked Skymount the next day (off of Cache Lake) and it was a 10/10 view. Then I hiked the Beetle Lake Trail, and it was much less exciting. I'm just sifting through my pictures right now... I can post a few, but if you're going to see it in person, I'd say it's worth it to save the suspense.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

10/12/2016 9:03 am  #3

if the winds pick up, the leaves will be gone off the trees in no time. i might be at mew for a few days after the 13th.
 stop in for a coffee and chat.  last time we chatted was on sec lake with bo many years ago. just look for my keewaydin canoe and chevy uplander van.

10/12/2016 11:09 am  #4

Try Kingscote at the extreme south end of the park if the sugar maple peak is over on Hwy 60... SMs in the Bancroft area are peaking right now. 

Poplar and oak peak color is later than with SMs and might even be better in some places... below, poplars and oaks in sunset light taken well after the SM peak was over (also some red pines looking a little yellow due to the sunset color effect).

10/12/2016 3:24 pm  #5

Just got back from Mew today.  I like this phase the best - the understory is turning now and the majority of the taller trees are still in leaf. High winds today and tonight will change it quickly.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.