You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/03/2016 7:33 am  #1

Question about the Highland Trail

Hi all,

I'm heading out to the Highland Trail later this week, and just had a few questions. Is the tree cover on the trail mainly maples? Or more poplar and birch? 

It looks like there is a scenic view west of Faya Lake (according to Jeff's Maps), is this worth a visit? Are there any other scenic views that shouldn't be missed? 

Thanks!

10/03/2016 8:54 am  #2

Re: Question about the Highland Trail

There are sections of maple groves after the first loop but most of the forest on the trail is mixed: pine, spruce, fir, cedar, poplar, birch. I don't think there is enough soil in the area to support a lot of maple trees.

The lookout west of Faya isn't very good anymore. Trees on the lower slope have grown enough to block a good portion of the view. Still a nice spot for a break but nothing like it once was. The scenic view at the East end of Starling is a better choice, even if it means diverting. Have a great trip.

10/20/2016 7:01 am  #3

Hey Spicol, you weren't kidding about the lookout west of Faya. I liked the hike to get there, but damn those trees on the slope really block what would be a fantastic view! We (my dog and I) hit up Starling as well, and it was muuuuuuuch better. 

10/20/2016 9:16 am  #4

Thanks for following up. Nice colours!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.