You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/22/2016 12:29 pm  #1

Algonquin Access 14b

Hi all

Planning a trip on Oct 1 - was planning to do a loop out of Dividing Lake via Dagger Lake access (14b on Jeff's map).

I was there in late September last year, they took out the bridge just before the access. Has anyone visited this year? Just wondering about the condition of the logging road and the access. Planning to take a minivan this year... Subject to change though

Cheers!
Marko

9/22/2016 3:05 pm  #2

Re: Algonquin Access 14b

hi marko
       i used to moose hunt that area, not to sure about the culvert location. there is a portage south into rockaway, from the road that you mentioned . you could go in from kimble lake and up the golden stair case, last third of the trail brutal climb. into rockaway. i think that route is in one of callen`s books  "lost canoe routes"?  i think hunting season is open for small game, and ducks in that area too.
   call the livingstone lake lodge, they could be helpful. thats if they are still open?

9/22/2016 4:27 pm  #3

Thanks SP!

The map is attached - I'm gonna take the logging road from access 14 to 14b (well, as far as the removed bridge anyways).

Any info appreciated - if it helps it's a 2012 Honda Odyssey, but I do have rescue equipment (winch, traction pads). Hahhah (but seriously I do).

M

10/05/2016 12:12 pm  #4

Just got back from the trip on Monday - not much rain - mainly overcast. Good trip, and another reason to never trust the weather forecast (they were calling for thunderstorms over 3 days). 

The bridge is still gone, but the ATV association has built a 30-meter bypass around the creek. Basically there is an ATV trail that goes to a more shallow part of the creek (a feet deep at the most), and then back to the original road. However, I would still cross at the site of the bridge rather than getting my feet wet at the crossing. 

Path to new creek crossing

Crossing

The total length of the portage from new 14b to Dagger Lake is about 430 meters, but very easy as it's along the road.

Cheers
Marko

Last edited by Marko_Mrko (10/05/2016 12:13 pm)

10/05/2016 7:23 pm  #5

And how's the road, would you recommend it for lower-clearance 2WDs? Also how do you cross the river where the bridge used to be, do you have to launch the canoe and paddle across or is there some remaining infrastructure that you can walk across?

10/05/2016 7:35 pm  #6

RE: Access/logging road. It's great. Made it with a Honda Odyssey without a sweat.. I wouldn't hesitate taking a Corolla. There was active logging last year, it looks like they did not log this year. There are only ATVs and dirt bikes using the road this year and it's in good shape. Here's a picture of the logging road looking from the official access 14 last week.

RE: Creek. There is nothing left. You have to paddle 6 feet across, then take the 400m road/portage to Dagger Lake. Slightly annoying, but very easy. 

I really like this area of the park, hope it sees more traffic. Could use some help clearing the portages :D Hope you can check it out, the weather looks like it will be spectacular this weekend. 

Much quicker to access than Hwy 60/NW side if coming from Toronto. Especially this weekend - there will be massive crowds at the West gate and I guarantee nobody in this area. Even for a daytrip, I find the road to Dorset, and from Dorset to Livingstone Lake is more scenic than the Hwy 60. Logging road worth a drive just for the fun of it as well. And no day fees as Dagger Lake is crown land. How can you lose? :D 

Cheers
Marko

Last edited by Marko_Mrko (10/05/2016 7:38 pm)

10/05/2016 7:46 pm  #7

10/05/2016 8:08 pm  #8

Thanks Marko! I won't make it there this weekend but I've been thinking about the area for a spring trip.

10/06/2016 12:59 pm  #9

I usually go there for the fall.

There is a sign from the snowmobile association that travel is prohibited before May 1 due to loose road conditions. 

M

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.