You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/28/2016 9:44 am  #1

Would these campsites be considered Crow Bay or Lavieille?

The online booking system gives 6 reservable campsites for Crow Bay and 12 for Lavieille. That means, at the very least, the two leftmost of the cluster of sites I've circled must be Crow Bay, but are the other three also considered Crow Bay or are they considered Lavieille? 

I confess it's a pretty lame reason why I'm asking. I have a copy of Jeff's wall map, and I have a pin in every lake I've ever camped on. I camped on the top-right site in my circled bunch ,and that's the only time I've ever been to Lavieille. So if that site is actually considered Crow Bay, then I have an excuse to plan a trip to Lavieille!

7/28/2016 10:43 am  #2

Re: Would these campsites be considered Crow Bay or Lavieille?

I stayed on the site immediately to the left of yours. Technically it would be in Crow Bay. I call it that because it is located on the shore of Crow Bay, it faces Crow Bay, the campsite sign faces Crow Bay. The Canoe landing is in Crow Bay. Technically yours would have been in Lake Lavieille for all the same reasons. Even though they are all of 60 yards apart. I have no idea how CAMIS figures this stuff out. I would say you camped on Lavieille and have no reason to ever go back 

Last edited by MartinG (7/28/2016 10:44 am)

7/28/2016 11:28 am  #3

Pfft - you and your logic. Just because something makes sense doesn't mean that's how it's been done ;)

It's not that I don't revisit lakes - I do all the time. But I try to book routes that have me camping on at least one lake I've never camped on before. Booking a trip to finally put a pin in big, beautiful Lavieille? Awesome! Booking a trip where the goal is Crow Bay? Not so much, ignoring that it would be the same route either way of course. It makes sense in my head.

Fine then. I'll still book a trip with a couple nights on Lavieille, and then I'll portage into Animoosh to get a new pin that way. Except I don't recall hearing anything that exciting about Animoosh. You barely mention it in your own trip report and you camped there! 

7/28/2016 1:57 pm  #4

Jeff kind of of answered your question right on the map in green - "The nine campsites on Crow Bay are reserved independently of the other ones on L Lavielle".

There are 9 sites, only 6 reservable on Crow Bay and 17 sites, 12 reservable on Lavielle.

Therefore, in the spirit of your wall map, you must plan another trip to deserve the pin!

7/28/2016 2:00 pm  #5

Makes perfect sense. I take it back. You stayed on Crow Bay last time!

Animoosh, it was very windy, I'd almost died like 10 times on Dickson, then i walked 6km over to Fairy and back. All I remember about Animoosh was the whisky was good. 

7/28/2016 5:48 pm  #6

I am unreasonably excited to learn that I've never camped on Lavieille. Who knew that actually paying attention to the map would tell me things - thanks spicol!

@Martin: You had your dry suit on I imagine, so let's go with "almost had one of the worst experiences of your life" instead. But you pulled it off, and survived to later portage through snow drifts ;)

Since I've never camped on Lavieille (!) or Animoosh, I'll go for two new pins in one trip then. I've been on Big Crow a dozen times so I don't think I'll go that route, instead I'll take the 5k portage in both directions. Now I just have to decide if I'm going to change the trip coming up in a week, or if I do this in September. Thanks for the help!

7/28/2016 8:47 pm  #7

I was on Animoosh two years ago.  The lake itself is nothing terribly special, but I enjoyed my time there.  I stayed at the site on the portage to Fairy as it seemed like the better of the two.  Normally I would avoid a site on a portage, but there was no traffic while I was there.  The shore is a gradual sandy entry.  The weather was perfect.  I had a nice afternoon to bake in the sun.

I was worried about wind on Dickson, but it was perfectly calm.  For whatever reason I really liked Fairy Lake.  It wouldn't be a great lake to camp at (it has no sites), but it was nice to cross.  I've also stayed on Hidden Lake, which I'd pass on.

If you're in the area and you want an more interesting lake to check out, and can manage the portage (it's uphill from Dickson), check out Round Island.  The site on the point is nice.  There's huge submerged boulders all over the lake, particularly around that point.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.