You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/23/2016 7:01 pm  #1

Trail from St Andrews Lake to Water slide

Has anyone taken the portage/trail from the north end of St Andrews Lake to the water slide? I want to camp on St Andrews, paddle to the portage at the north end and walk to the water slide. How feasible would this plan be?

7/23/2016 8:51 pm  #2

Re: Trail from St Andrews Lake to Water slide

That's pretty much all there is to it. The trail(s) will take you to the pool below high falls. You will have to walk around the pool. Up the side of the water fall and on for another 5 minutes or so to the water slide

7/24/2016 6:16 am  #3

If I were camped on St. Andrews (and especially if I were camped at the south end), I would travel to the waterslide via Stratton Lake.  Sometimes the longest way 'round is the shorest way home.

7/24/2016 7:54 pm  #4

I've done the hike you're asking about twice.  It's a bit rough in places (there's a few places you'll need to scramble/climb up some steep, but not high sections), so it might take you a bit longer than you expect (maybe 45 minutes).  The trail crosses some open rocky sections, and when I went last year someone had marked the trail with rocks which made things a bit easier than the first time I hiked up.  The one thing to watch out for is poison ivy.  There is a lot of it when you cross at the bottom of the waterfall and start climbing up the right side of the falls.  In general there's quite a bit in the area, but it's definitely along this trail.

Have fun.

7/25/2016 5:58 am  #5

We've camped on St. Andrews and have always taken the short portage to Stratton and then paddled down to the busy and easily identifiable trail to the falls at the lower end of Stratton.  It makes it easier if you choose a campsite on St. Andrews closer to the portage to Stratton...there are two or three nice ones there, a couple with a beach and the point one is quite spacious and tree-covered.

7/25/2016 7:59 am  #6

I did it last year, but we camped at Opalescent.  Just have to be careful with some sections of the trail.    But I would probably suggest what other are suggesting unless you are making a day trip out of it and also going down to the cascades. 

Last edited by Mulder (7/26/2016 7:01 am)

7/25/2016 11:42 am  #7

Thanks for the responses. I guess it will be a game day decision which on way to go!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.