You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/30/2016 8:45 pm  #1

Fire rating: HIGH

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/visit/park_management/campfires-and-the-fire-rating-system.php

Campfires & Fire Hazard Rating System
Forest Fire Hazard: HIGH
Updated: Thursday, June 30, 2016

Long weekend, lots of campers, and no fire ban.  I don't know what it takes for Algonquin Park to admit that no outdoor fires should be created in the Park in these conditions.

Barbara

Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one.

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

7/01/2016 4:01 pm  #2

Re: Fire rating: HIGH

I am amazed that the Park's definition of a 'small' fire is one less than 1 metre in diameter and less than 1 metre in height(!) - hard to get close to that to do any cooking. 

My guess is that most of the fire problems in APP are due to people not putting out their campfires.  Hardly anybody seems to bother with that any more.  What's the problem - lazy? ignorant? don't care?

7/20/2016 10:24 am  #3

My OH is on the fire department in our municipality on the edge of the park. We dd have firebans on and off all spring. Although it was not said in so many words I think it had more to do with money than risk. In other words, when the FD has to be called out mulitple times a week for small fires that are started from things like dumping one's ashes from one's campfire at one's cottage on public land at the base of a tree, it gets expensive for the municipality. I think for the park, the cost/ benefit ratio is different.

7/20/2016 12:36 pm  #4

I had been wondering if a fire ban had been imposed.  I'm going next week, so I've been tracking it a bit this summer, and the risk levels have been all over the place.  All four levels have shown up over the past month or so.  

I am surprised to hear that there are people who don't actually drown out their campfire.  I carry a bucket for that specific purpose, and when I'm done with it you could stick your face in what's left of the coal bed and kiss the rocks around it.  There's no way in H I would ever allow a fire to be attributable to me.

7/25/2016 7:26 am  #5

We were told on Thursday (At Shall Lake Access Point) that the Park is no where near a complete fire ban. 

7/25/2016 11:29 am  #6

The municipalities in the east side of the park do not have fire bans currently either.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.