You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/18/2016 8:12 am  #1

Lake Travers drive time

Should be an easy on, but can someone comment on road condition and driving time to Lake Travers AP from the Sand Lake permit office?

I realize its gravel road, but google maps is quoting me 2hr 18m to drive the 54km . . . . I'd assume an hour should be plenty?

Thanks!

7/18/2016 8:36 am  #2

Re: Lake Travers drive time

I would have estimated an hour and twenty. My notes ( http://www.loonislandoutdoors.com/TripReports/PetawawaRiver/PRDay1.php ) have it as an hour from the takeout on Lake McManus up to Lake Travers. From another trip ( http://www.loonislandoutdoors.com/TripReports/LowerPetawawa/McManusLakeDay1.php ) I have it as about 15 minutes from Sand Lake Gate to Lake McManus. Probably 10 minutes of that is after you turn off the Barron Canyon Road to drive down to McManus. 

So if you are going straight from the Sand Lake Gate to Lake Travers, I'd agree that an hour is probably about right. 

7/18/2016 3:36 pm  #3

An hour is about right. Sometimes less, but watch for logging trucks.. They rip around those corners like it's nobody's business and they're usually only about 10 minutes apart. (at least from my experience) Traverse and surrounding area is awesome - have a blast!

7/18/2016 3:47 pm  #4

I didn't time the drive but I remember it being pretty boring after the Achray turn-off. The road is graded very frequently and is usually in good shape. Some spots you can do 80-100km/h safely.

7/19/2016 5:00 am  #5

Good point, John. My trips to Traverse are usually September/October, by then plenty of trucks passing by.

7/19/2016 6:56 am  #6

Thanks guys,

We're heading in the weekend after Labour Day, and log trucks will be on the watch list for sure.  I've been run off the back roads a few times in the Almaguin area growing up, still amazes me the speeds they travel with a fully loaded truck!

Been into Whitson and Grand, but excited to get see Travers . . .

7/19/2016 7:46 am  #7

Not sure about the road leading into Travers but the logging trucks have started back up on my road (which is a road coming out of the park). They started back up this week and have been pretty steady. I can hear them driving down the road as I type. So do be cautious out there.

Last edited by ChristineCanoes (7/19/2016 7:46 am)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.