You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/12/2016 1:57 am  #1

Careful out there - TR from Little Eagle

Hi gang, long time no post.  

Just got back from a quick weekend trip to Little Eagle.  I've got a video log in the works and a full trip report here:  https://iantendy.wordpress.com/2016/05/12/2010/

But I wanted first and foremost to warn everyone that the water is still VERY cold out there.  Me and my pal hauled two people out of the water after their canoe tipped.  Everyone handled the situation calmly and everyone survived with a story to tell, but it was terrifying to be sure.  Had they not been wearing life jackets and had a rescue nearby, it could have been bodies we were looking for instead of floundering gear.

Stay safe friends.

5/12/2016 8:11 am  #2

Re: Careful out there - TR from Little Eagle

Wow what a sobering reminder of how easily things can take a turn for the worse.  Thanks for sharing your experience and kudos to you for stepping up and helping out!

5/12/2016 10:23 am  #3

Great report and awesome on getting them safe. A side note, always wear your life jacket, but when the water is that cold, seriously contemplate a wet suit, or even a dry suit, it can give you that little bit of extra time to get yourself self rescued/rescued.

5/12/2016 12:26 pm  #4

Damn man that's a situation you never want to be in or see someone else in. What were they wearing? im surprised they ended up ok after being in the water for 15mins. And do you know how they tipped?

Good on you for helping them out!

5/12/2016 10:24 pm  #5

They were wearing some pretty standard camping gear: cargo pants, denim blend shirts, hiking boots.  They had an interesting assortment of gear.  It was half stuff you don't normally see on experienced campers like large water jugs, big coolers, and expensive running shoes then half high quality drysacks and emergency gear.

Neither Shane nor I saw them go over, but the amount of debris we went and picked up plus whatever may have sank suggested their canoe was both over- and mis-loaded.  A simple miscommunication or un-announced weight shift could have sent them over.  

5/13/2016 12:05 am  #6

A hard lesson I'm sure for those young guys but at least it won't be their last. Good for you and your friend, getting involved and taking action, as swiftly as you did.

I may have to think about a dry suit next yr 🤔

"Anyone can make love in a canoe, it's a Canadian who knows enough to take out the centre thwart!        Bahahaha!
                                                                      - Philip Chester

7/09/2016 3:55 pm  #7

Finally got around to editing together a video log.  Bit of windnoise in there, but all-together fun I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzrD9c5qzBw&feature=youtu.be

7/10/2016 6:25 pm  #8

Nice vid Ian. Looks like you guys had an exciting time 😨
Curious about what you use to film your video with??

K

"Anyone can make love in a canoe, it's a Canadian who knows enough to take out the centre thwart!        Bahahaha!
                                                                      - Philip Chester

7/11/2016 10:00 pm  #9

I use a simple point and shoot camera, a 16.1mp Sony Cybershot with a Carl Ziess lens (built in).  Sometimes I use a small Gorillapod tripod that I wrap around branched and stuff.  I'm pretty happy with it, don't see any reason to upgrade aside from when windnoise overcomes the microphone.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.