You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/26/2015 2:43 pm  #1

Fall Camping

I have booked my first ever autumn backcountry camping trip (October 3-10). While it's not in Algonquin, I knew you would be able to give me advice about what to consider.

We're going to Killarney and I know evenings/nights/mornings will be cold but the day time temperature could be high teens or low twenties. I should have complete rain gear and not just a rain jacket. My dog will also be coming with my husband and I. I have been thinking about her wellbeing and keeping warm/dry when possible.

What kind of advice could you offer myself who has only canoe-tripped in the summer and that I might not consider this time around?

www.wabooseadventures.com 

Photographer | Blogger | Outdoors Woman | Canoeing | Camping | Hiking | Connecting with Nature | Landscape, Nature, and Wildlife Photography

8/26/2015 5:59 pm  #2

Re: Fall Camping

Great time of year to trip   Packing can be tricky because, like you said, temperatures can really vary.  I'd bring a warm hat for sure...Remember the days are shorter so allow yourself enough time to get stuff done that you need to get done during daylight hours.

Are your sleeping bags/pads rated for 3 season use?

8/31/2015 2:40 pm  #3

Thanks for the advice, Steve.  Yes, our sleeping bags, pads and tent are rated for 3-season use.

Photographer | Blogger | Outdoors Woman | Canoeing | Camping | Hiking | Connecting with Nature | Landscape, Nature, and Wildlife Photography

8/31/2015 5:06 pm  #4

Last October I woke up to an inch of snow on my tarp (I hammock)!

I stayed warm and comfortable at night by using a fleece liner under my top quilt (it's summer weight) and wearing microfleece thermals that I bought at Marks W/W. I also found a pair of MaxHeat thermal socks there that actually had an R factor. Either a hoodie or a hat are really needed as well.

A lot of people camping in colder weather with a dog make a fleece sleeping bag for the dog - they don't normally need a full sleeping bag thickness but something to supplement body heat and to keep them out of your sleeping bag!

9/01/2015 6:29 am  #5

Snow!  I haven't considered it, but no doubt it could happen.  I was thinking about fleece as well, because it's more lightweight.  I was also thinking about a fleece blanket for my dog as well.  

Good, I'm on the right track!  Thanks for the advice BethNearNorth!

9/04/2015 11:02 am  #6

We woke up to unexpected snow following a post-May 24 weekend backpacking trip this year. Not fun if you're not prepared. Toques are a must for me.

What kind of dog? If its a long-haired breed that is used to being outdoors, odds are good that not much will be needed. Something to get them off the ground at night will be appreciated I'm sure though.

9/04/2015 8:56 pm  #7

Waboose Adventures wrote:

I was also thinking about a fleece blanket for my dog as well.  

When the weather gets cooler I always have a fleece blanket for the dog as well as a half-length blue closed-cell pad. The fleece inevitably gets thrown off when she repositions so I also bought a sweater for her from PetSmart. You can pick them up fairly cheap. I think this one was about $12.00

Don't judge!

Dave

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.