You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/19/2016 10:32 am  #35

Re: Brent Run.

They left Joe Island around 10:30 am and arrived at the beach at south end of Canoe Lake around 10:30 am. Hope to hear from them directly soon!

6/20/2016 7:40 am  #36

Next time I have a stupid idea like doing the Brent Run, somebody slap me!!!!

Making decent time till Big Trout then the headwinds started. Combine that with 30+ temps and it does not make for prime paddling. However, we perservered and were pretty knackered and stumbling a bit by midnight so in regards for safety we hit Shangri-La Island on Catfish to grab some snooze. When we started out again the wind built until they were pretty harsh. Good 1 foot waves on Big Trout and absolutely ridiculous winds on Burnt Island and the Joes. 

Bugs were pretty bad the entire trip. I will say they were not as bad at the start of the portages, but as you went along and disturbed them all, by the end of the portage you were covered.

We finished up with the time of 40 hours. At some point it became more about 4 guys sharing the experience than about the record. Would like to say I would be happy to do this again with these guys but none of us want to do it again!!!! Hahaha... Famous last words, right??!!

Trip log and some pics to come soon.

I would just like to say THANKS to Mike, Markus, and Scott for agreeing to join me on this insane escapade. Was a great experience I am sure we will chat about for a long time to come.
Thanks also for Dogbyte and Dorothy for watching over the camp while we were gone. Thanks Dogbyte for the steak dinner upon our return!!

Sean

SeanOfAjax
Paddling Adventures Radio
www.paddlingadventuresradio.com
"Grab a paddle and get on the water"

6/20/2016 10:18 am  #37

Good job finishing!  That's a tough slog with heat and bugs.

Last edited by Shayne74 (6/20/2016 10:18 am)

7/06/2016 12:39 pm  #38

I am part of a group that has done the Brent Run for the past seven years and are digging in again on August 1 long weekend. We expect 8 - 10 boats to head out, with at least two solo attempts lined up.

We'd love to hear from other interested parties as well. This is a non-organized, non-supported gathering of friends. No T-shirts or prizes  

PM me if you'd like more info.

Cheers!!
James Cook 

7/06/2016 4:43 pm  #39

Can confirm about the bugs. Did cedar-burntroot-nipissing route and the mosquitos were about as bad as I've  ever seen, but definitely the worst I've seen in Algonquin. So surprising given the dry spring and start of summer.

7/07/2016 7:43 pm  #40

Mike Burns has put a 19 minute video online, of the Brent Run he took part in mid-June with Scott, Markus and Sean.

https://youtu.be/TiGgcwU0XOc

7/08/2016 12:35 pm  #41

Can't agree on bugs: just returned from Rosebury-Nip-Burntoot-McIntosh loop and haven't seen much on the Nip; from there on most portages were as expected in July, but nothing that bug spray can't take care off. No skeeters on campsites.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.