You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/28/2016 12:57 pm  #1

Advice for Barron Canyon Trip on Sold-Out Long Weekend

Hello Fellow Trippers!

I'm planning a canoe trip for myself and some friends from work for the Civic Holiday long weekend. We chose to go to the east side of the park and explore the Barron Canyon. Although I booked our permits several weeks ago, most lakes in this area had already sold out. We're spending our first night at the Achray Jump Off sites, then 1 night on Stratton, followed by 2 nights on Length Lake. We would've preferred to spend all 3 nights on Stratton; however, Length Lake was one of the only options left when I booked. We plan on taking a day trip up through the cascades and then down through the Barron Canyon, and possibly exploring some of the hiking trails in this area as well as another day trip.

Questions:
- Has anyone been to Length Lake and can you comment on the condition of the sites there?
- Do you have any other advice for travelling to this area of the park on a busy long weekend?

Of the six of us, two are experienced trippers (myself included), and three are novices (one has never camped before). I visited this area with my girlfriend in 2013. We spend 3 nights on Grand Lake and did a day trip from there through the cascades and down through the Barron Canyon. It wasn't busy at the time and we didn't explore the small lakes east of High Falls.

6/28/2016 12:58 pm  #2

Re: Advice for Barron Canyon Trip on Sold-Out Long Weekend

Thanks in advance for your advice!

6/28/2016 1:07 pm  #3

Here are some maps for reference.

The Barron Canyon route from Kevin's Callan's A Paddler's Guide to Algonquin Park

http://www.kevincallan.com/       (Admin. edit .. use of Kevin's map deserves a free plug 'link' too.)

Grand Lake - Achray Access Point, and Barron River from Jeff's Map:

Last edited by BarryB (6/29/2016 6:31 am)

6/28/2016 2:16 pm  #4

That area is nuts on the civic long weekend. Make sure you are on the water early on your first day to get a site on Stratton.

Day trip from Stratton to the waterslide/high falls. You will see dozens of people at the waterslide.

Once you are on Length you may not feel like leaving. I highly doubt you would do a day trip from Length  through High Falls lake, the Cascades and back to Length via Cork. The portage between St. Andrews and Marie is one of the steepest in the park. The portage out the other side of Length is long and on a side hill for much of its length.

Have no idea what the campsites are like.

Good luck!

6/28/2016 10:13 pm  #5

Thanks MartinG.

I didn't realize that this portage was quite so steep. Thanks for pointing that out. We'll definitely take it into consideration!

6/29/2016 7:19 am  #6

I stayed on the lower (or western of the two) campsite on Length back in 2014. nice little lake - decent campsites. Obviously they are very very close to each other, so if there is another group on Length with you, I would expect to be able to hear and see them (there is a connecting trail, about 30m between the two sites). Fishing is supposed to be good on Length, so you could give that a go. Or you could try to bushwhack Gumdrop Lake to check it out.

Regarding day trips.. I'd check out high falls before headed to Length. A trip to Cork is do-able if you don't have any gear, but as Martin mentioned, it's a long slog, mostly flat but just long. I think its actually much longer than 2225m. Cork has nice cliffs that would be worth a visit - hike up there and have lunch with a commanding view of the lake. 

Since the area is so booked up, you really really need to be on the water before anyone else, or you may not get a campsite (even though you have a permit for one.. a lot of people just do what they want out there, which is fine when its not packed.. but when its booked to the brim, I wouldn't take any chances and I'd be on the water at sunrise to avoid total disappointment)

6/29/2016 8:34 am  #7

Haven't visited Length yet, but stayed on Marie last year and loved it.  Was small and very picturesque, and the water was that beautiful, clear headwater-type you see in places.  I expect that Length is similar.  Length will be a great place to be during what is the busiest weekend in the Park. 
​I agree with MartinG about the portage.  It's brutal, but definitely worth the effort.  Recommend you prepare your novices for the ascent.

6/29/2016 2:10 pm  #8

Why not change the reservation and go the other way to Clemow?   Nobody else booked there.  

As for a Day trip from Length Lake, from what I've heard about the portage mentioned above, it's very steep. You are also also looking at a total day trip of 20ish kilometers. 6.6km of portages with about 120m total of elevation difference between your high point and low point.   All things to consider. 

I would check out the High Falls & the Waterslide for sure. 

Last year my group camped at Opalescent Lake, took a trip to High Falls & had lunch. I think it took about 4 hours?  I

6/29/2016 2:36 pm  #9

Mulder wrote:

Why not change the reservation and go the other way to Clemow?   Nobody else booked there.   I

My wife and I went to Clemow Lake a few years ago.   As beavers had raised the water level and drowned trees around the shore of the lake, it wasn't the most attractive lake.   The first (of two) campsite we saw didn't look too interesting.  The second site where we stayed was a nice rock point with good swimming.  Unfortunately, it only had space for one tent.  My wife indicated that she did not wish to return to this lake.

I had forgotten how busy the park is on the August long weekend as in recent years we've always been out in BC visiting my wife's family.  We'd always start from either Kiosk or Brent on that weekend.  I didn't have any trouble booking the July 1 weekend back in mid-May.   We'll be on Number One lake tomorrow night and Cork Lake on Friday/Saturday nights.   We might hike to the south rim of the Barron Canyon on Saturday.

7/04/2016 5:09 pm  #10

I've also spent time on Length and done the day trip into High Falls like you're planning.  It's "do-able" but St.Andrews/Marie portage is the worst 700m you're going to encounter in the park and after going up once, you really don't want to do it again!

-It goes without saying but to get to High Falls coming from length, leave your canoes at the end of the St.Andrews/High Falls Lake portage, and take the cheater trail to your left, which comes out at the base of the falls, instead of paddling back to Stratton.  Also you'll want to be there early in the morning to avoid the crowd that usually shows up around noon.
-Length is not a fun place to swim, any paddle that touches the bottom, comes up covered in leeches.
-Those leeches however make good fish food.....
-If you've got a bunch of people coming (with multiple vehicles), that aren't afraid of a little work, might I suggest coming out at squirrel rapids on the last day?  I'd take travelling down Barron Canyon over fighting the throngs at Achray any day...

It's a nice area, enjoy yourselves!

7/04/2016 6:49 pm  #11

One thing to watch out for in the area is poison ivy.  There is quite a bit of it along the trail from the St.Andrews/High Falls Lake portage especially as you get close to the falls, but also along many of the portages in the area.

7/07/2016 1:44 pm  #12

Thanks for the helpful advice everyone! We will take everything that you have said into consideration. Thanks!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.