You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/05/2016 10:45 am  #1

Camp sites -- how they are chosen

I am just curious, how do we pick a site? I am confirmed to go EU Lake and  Maggie Lake West. My confirmation has numbers on it, 640 and 636. Are these camp sites that I will stay at or do I just choose an area once I am at the Lake? Also, do all sites have access to the Lake to cool off? Do they all have leeches lol. I don't do well with leeches. 

7/05/2016 11:29 am  #2

Re: Camp sites -- how they are chosen

No site #'s for interior sites in Algonquin. You just book the lake and pick a site when you get there. 

If you are canoeing, then yes the sites will have water access. I'm pretty sure most of the backpacking sites are on lakes as well. 

7/05/2016 1:01 pm  #3

Once you're on a lake, the sites are clearly indicated with Orange signs that you can see as you paddle by the shore. You can cross reference what you're seeing with the map and choose a site that is free and has the "amenities" you want.

All sites have a privy (a.k.a thunderbox), a fire pit and at least one flat area to place a tent. Other than that, sites differ a lot. Some have big sloping rocks into the water which are great to swim from, some have lots of space for lots of tents, others have lots of different levels, etc. 

I've never come across a "bad" site but I have come across a few that really stand out as amazing. 

Some lakes do have leeches. Bring some salt with you and they'll come right off. They are gross but pretty harmless. 

7/05/2016 3:34 pm  #4

Hi Sammy,

From a hiking perspective, you may see an orange and black tent sign OR a sign that says 'Side Trail'. Side Trail indicates a camp site at the end of the trail. You may also encounter yellow portage signs on your trek and you can just ignore these. I assume that you're hiking counter-clockwise, so be sure to stay on the 1st Loop which branches off to the left soon after you pass Ramona Lake (there should be signs marking this). After about 1 km, you'll likely pass either a Side Trail or camp sign on your right which leads to Panther Lake (there may also be a yellow portage sign as well). A little over 1 km later, you should see a Side Trail or camp sign on your left and this is the trail that leads you to the EU Lake site. Your trail map should outline this accordingly. The same idea applies to the Maggie West sites.

Cheers,

Rich

Last edited by hiker72 (7/05/2016 3:37 pm)

7/05/2016 5:42 pm  #5

The numbers 640 and 636 are simply the park's code for EU Lake and Maggie Lake West (backpacking campsites). You can see those numbers on CAMIS. When you get to Maggie Lake you may camp on any of the backpacking campsites on the western section of the lake that are vacant. When you get to EU lake there is only one campsite there, so you will camp on it.

With all backcountry camping in Algonquin, you must camp on a designated campsite on the lake or river (or in a few cases, section thereof) that you've booked, and of the type (canoe or backpacking) that you booked. On lakes with multiple campsites you may pick whichever you want out of those that are vacant when you arrive.

The latest edition of the official FOAP backpacking trails map shows the boundaries of the sections of Maggie Lake. Both that and Jeff's Map show the locations of the campsites, as you can see they're all on the shore.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.