You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/27/2016 9:35 pm  #1

Opeongo/Big Crow/Lavieille Loop 4 nights with a chill day!?

Hey!
I'm planning our (our being 3 couples in 2 canoes) yearly 4 night/5day trip to Algonquin Park and I would love to get some feedback and/or suggestions on this well known route. 

End of July. We depart from Montreal at about 3AM to get to the Opeongo access point by around 7:30-8h00.
We'd rent our boats from Algonquin Outfitters and hop on the Water Taxi.

From what I've read, I really think everyone would absolutely enjoy staying on Lavieille for 2 nights. That being said, where should we stay the other 2 nights? We can not extend this trip, and I know some of the people in our goup are not keen on paddling everyday (hence the chill day on Lavieille). Is this loop too long? We do single carries on portages which helps our cause.... I'm just uncertain of where to plan on spending night 1 and night 4... Water Taxi back of course.

What do you think!? Thanks!

6/28/2016 8:15 am  #2

Re: Opeongo/Big Crow/Lavieille Loop 4 nights with a chill day!?

We did the same trip last year water taxi and stayed on Big Crow night 1, Lake Lavielle at Crow bay nights 2,3 and Opeongo east arm night 4. We paddled back early in the morning on day 5, took somewhere between 2-3 hours. Only complaint is Day 4 was a long one, mainly caused by not being able to stay on Dickson or Hardy Bay. Great trip! 

Last edited by Lenny (6/28/2016 8:15 am)

7/03/2016 8:24 am  #3

Be careful at Hardy Bay, Dickson Lake, because of the algae blooms you will need to get enough drinking water on Lavieille to last until you reach Opeongo.

7/04/2016 5:20 pm  #4

It's a great loop but can be difficult for less experienced people, mainly because of the paddling and portaging involved....Lavieille can be especially dangerous in the afternoon when the wind picks up.
Most people camp on Big Crow the first night then spend nights 2/3 somewhere on Lavielle/Dickson (if Dickson ever opens up again).
If you're doing a water taxi there's no need to camp at the east arm for the last night; the 5.5km portage can usually be done in 1-3 hours depending on experience.  Just arrange to meet the taxi later in the afternoon.
There are many springs along that portage, if you have an idea how to locate them you don't need to bring piles of water from Lavieille...

Also, bring a fishing rod!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.