You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/16/2016 5:05 pm  #1

Suggestions for 8ish day canoe trip?

My boyfriend and I are looking to do an 7-9 day canoe trip this August. He has been to Algonquin before (but not in years) and it will be my first time to the park. As we aren't too familiar with the area we are hoping for guidance on planning our trip. Here are some of our wants, etc.:
-7-9 day duration
- We are up for doing a medium level of portages, but are happiest doing less and shorter ones
- A loop would be best, but we are flexible
- Traveling with a dog 
- Looking for a more remote trip on less crowded lakes
- We are intermediate paddlers, hikers and campers
- Would love some island camp sites
- Driving up from New York and are thinking about entering in the West or North West...but are open to suggestions
- A mix of smaller and bigger size lakes
- Some fishing 

Our main questions:
-Route suggestions?
-Best maps to use?
- Good outfitters?

Thanks for any help!!!!

6/16/2016 5:49 pm  #2

Re: Suggestions for 8ish day canoe trip?

Best map to use is the easy question.
Suitable outfitter depends on which access point you start from, so we'd have to answer that after you settle on the route. I've been happy with every outfitter I've used in the Algonquin area.
Route options are the big one... I suggest letting yourself get lost in the above-linked map for a while and see what calls out to you. The most crowded lakes are generally the ones with direct access off Highway 60, and those that are a short portage away from them. Though you'll be going a few days in so you'll get past the crowds. The map includes some features that speak to how remote a lake might feel, such as developments (summer camps, lodges, cottages etc) and where motorboats are allowed. It also shows the main fish species. The lake and brook trout that dominate most interior lakes go deep in the summer and are difficult to catch without specialized gear, so if you just wanted to toss some tackle around on spinning gear and still catch something, consider including lakes that have bass or other warmer-water fish.

6/17/2016 7:36 am  #3

Did the Big Trout loop last July. Took 8 days, but we had a couple of rest days in there. Biggest portage is from Big Crow to Hogan but the rest was okay. Didn't see anyone until Merchant and Happy Isle lakes coming back to Opeongo where we got a water taxi back to the access point.

Opeongo (north arm)-Proulx-Big Crow-Hogan-La Muir-Red Pine Bay-Big Trout-Merchant-Happy Isle-Opeongo (Hailstorm Bay, north arm)

You can see our route as shown on Jeff's map and trip report on my website.

https://wabooseadventures.com/backcountry-camping/algonquin-park/

www.wabooseadventures.com 

Photographer | Blogger | Outdoors Woman | Canoeing | Camping | Hiking | Connecting with Nature | Landscape, Nature, and Wildlife Photography

6/17/2016 7:40 am  #4

Remoteness in  August can be challenging. Remoteness in August while on a route that avoids long portages is probably a pipe dream. But on the other hand you've got a long trip planned, which will help!

With a 7-9 day trip you have many possible loop trips, but here's one to get you started. 

Access Point 3: Magnetawan

Night 1: I'll assume you likely won't have much time on the first day, so camp on Hambone or Daisy Lake.
Night 2: Work your way down the Petawawa River to Misty Lake. Longest portage 935 meters
Night 3: Continue to follow the Petawawa to White Trout, then paddle into Big Trout. Longest portage, 850 meters
Night 4: Stay on Big Trout again. You've got a long trip so a rest day is a good thing, and it's generally a good idea to bake such a day in in case of inclement weather that throws off your schedule. Lots to check out around Big Trout - it's a gorgeous lake. You won't be bored. 
Night 5: Backtrack to White Trout and set up camp. Very short easy day, no portaging. 
Night 6: White Trout to Timberwolf Lake via McIntosh Marsh and McIntosh Lake. Longest portage 745 meters. Mostly paddling, but you're now heading West so you could be paddling into the wind all day. 
Night 7: Timberwolf to Queer Lake. This is mostly to avoid back-tracking a stretch of the Petawawa you've already paddled, but in order to do that you've got a 2435 meter portage. But hey, it's now the 7th day of your trip, your food barrel is almost empty, and you'll have lots of portage experience by this point. No sweat. Or you can just paddle back up the Petawawa if you'd rather. 

Night 8: You can paddle out this day no problem, or you could camp on Ralph Bice and then head for the car the following day. 

This, basically. Map is Jeff's map, which Dan already linked you to. 

6/17/2016 7:41 am  #5

Waboose Adventures wrote:

Did the Big Trout loop last July. Took 8 days, but we had a couple of rest days in there. Biggest portage is from Big Crow to Hogan but the rest was okay. Didn't see anyone until Merchant and Happy Isle lakes coming back to Opeongo where we got a water taxi back to the access point.

Opeongo (north arm)-Proulx-Big Crow-Hogan-La Muir-Red Pine Bay-Big Trout-Merchant-Happy Isle-Opeongo (Hailstorm Bay, north arm)

You can see our route as shown on Jeff's map and trip report on my website.

https://wabooseadventures.com/backcountry-camping/algonquin-park/

How long did that other Big Trout route on your linked page take you, the one starting from Magnetawan? Because that one would avoid Opeongo and the water taxi ($$ for 2 people) and stay in a more remote-feeling part of the park with varied scenery... might be up the OP's alley. And it certainly has extension possibilities if it's not 8 days.

6/17/2016 7:48 am  #6

DanPM wrote:

How long did that other Big Trout route on your linked page take you, the one starting from Magnetawan?

To be determined. We're doing that in July. We have 10 days booked for it.

www.wabooseadventures.com 

Photographer | Blogger | Outdoors Woman | Canoeing | Camping | Hiking | Connecting with Nature | Landscape, Nature, and Wildlife Photography

6/17/2016 8:45 am  #7

Given the amount of time you have I would suggest starting at what most people would consider the most remote access point in Algonquin, Brent.  This would be your best bet to be traveling through good sized lakes without seeing a lot of people.   Unfortunately, as is pretty universal for Algonquin you can't do a good sized loop without incurring a fairly large amount of portaging.   For a route I would suggest taking the Petawawa river downstream (scenic, but the three portages on this route are fairly rough in places) to Radiant Lake (nice sand beach campsites), up the Little Madawaska through Philips Lake to Hogan Lake (a number of nice island campsites).   Lake LaMuir, Red Pine bay.   You could do a side trip to see Big Trout Lake from here.   Burntroot Lake and then down the Petawawa river to Catfish Lake (a couple of nice island sites).   From Catfish Lake you can return to Cedar Lake and Brent via either the Petawawa or Nipissing rivers.   I've done that route as a week long trip.   As we live in Ottawa, Brent is much more accessible to us than it would be for Toronto or Southern Ontario residents.

6/17/2016 1:07 pm  #8

It's either starting somewhere on the North side, like yellowcanoe suggested, which is as remote as it gets in AP, but with plenty of  hiking en route, or you can start for instance at Magnetawan (#3) and spend at least 2 days in and 2 days back in populated areas before you get to more distant lakes like Burntroot, La Muir or Hogan. Another alternative: you can start at Tim (#2) and take the Nipissing R into the park (very few people travel the Nip) and return to #3 by Big Trout and Misty. Local outfitters could take care of car shuttle.

P.S. of course the Nip itself requires 3-4 lengthy portages but they are mostly flat and easy.

Last edited by EddyTurn (6/17/2016 1:08 pm)

6/17/2016 2:19 pm  #9

The Route Uppa has suggested is a good one and I would second that route as an option for you.

I've covered (as I'm sure most of us have) all those lakes and rivers.  Good mix of small lakes, big lakes and River travel.  Wildlife viewing is pretty good on the Petawawa River (in my travels) as well as Queer lake.  I've been through Grassy Bay twice and never seen moose there.  They have to be there though lol. I'm sure a few fellow members have seen their share of moose there.  I stayed on the site directly across from where the Petawawa enters Grassy Bay and to date it's still one of my favourites in the park. 

The 2435m portage isn't that bad at all.  It starts going uphill for give or take 350m then is relatively flat for the remainder to Queer lake. 

And like everyone else has suggested, Jeff's maps is the best option and it isn't even close.  Because you haven't been to Algonquin in sometime you may find his estimated travel times helpful.

Enjoy your trip!  I will be in Algonquin for a trip in August as well from the 15-19.  I'll be leaving from Access point 2 (Tim River).

6/17/2016 4:39 pm  #10

Remote of course is subjective. It's often used to mean places you can only get to by bush plane or through days of unmaintained canoe routes. Algonquin obviously is not that. Maybe "solitude" or "wilderness feel" are better words for what the OP is looking for, but that is at least as subjective as well. Maybe living in downtown Toronto gives me a lower bar, but for me the "wilderness feel" of the area stretching east from Magnetawan is fine; it doesn't strike me as a "populated area" just because you do encounter other canoeists here and there along the route. It's an area with no motorized boats, public road crossings, or buildings, and neither is it the sort of canoe superhighway where you have to wait in line at portage landing. The only parts of Algonquin's route network that really don't feel wild to me are the campground and cottage lakes along Highway 60 and including the Joes.

So I like the routes suggested above. Although the Brent route is not on the side of the park you we're planning to go to (I assume driving distance is the issue), note that it has an advantage fishing-wise, namely walleye in the Cedar-Brent corridor. Few parts of Algonquin have walleye.

Last edited by DanPM (6/17/2016 7:48 pm)

6/17/2016 6:23 pm  #11

@DanPM: it all depends, but my reference is not the far north, but AP itself. Of course the Magnetawan - Big Trout loop is not the busiest in the park, but there are not many other areas suitable for a week-long trip that are more busy. On August weekend many (if not most) of the lakes on this loop will be booked full.

6/19/2016 11:15 pm  #12

Thanks all for the great route ideas. I am looking into a bunch of them. 

A friend recommended entering around Kiosk as another potentially good alternative. Does anyone have any thoughts/advice on routes from there?

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.