You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/09/2016 10:31 am  #1

Toronto To Algonquin Via Public Transport in 2016

Hello. I and my partner are visiting Toronto and we have free time on 23, 24, 25 June, and, perhaps, 22 evening. On 25 June 11 p,m. we have a flight back from Pearson airport. We are from Russia and we are eager paddlers (those russian whitewhater catamarans, you know) and hikers. I'm thinking of visiting Algonquin Park those days, renting a kayak and paddling, or just hiking in a backcountry, if the former would be too expensive/complex. For now, I suggest Canoe Lake as an entry point -- it is close to the west gate and has Portage canoe outfitters nearby, but it is not for sure still. The problem is that unfortunately we both don't drive, so we need to get there by public transport.

I have read the following thread (can't include www because I'm a newbie forum member):
network54.com/Forum/352882/thread/1297289790/Toronto+To+Algonquin+Via+Public+Transport
and got a lot of useful info there, although it might be outdated -- the thread is from 2011. I've checked that Ontario Northland operates regularly still from Toronto to Huntsville and we can use it. However, I don't know how to get from Huntsville to Algonquin. I've contacted Hammond Transportations mentioned in the 2011 thread, but didn't get the answer yet. I would also contact Independent Taxi, but it seems that they don't have a site and I can't call them from Russia. Does anyone know any other alternatives?

There is also a little problem with Huntsville-Toronto route: on 25 June Ontario Northland has trips 5.40 PM - 9:45 PM which is too late for us, and 1:40 PM - 5:30 PM which will destroy half a day that could be spent in Algonquin. I would be thankful for any suggestions here too.

I understand all this sounds a little bit complex -- only three days, hard time&money constraints, but I just thought that Algonquin is a fantastic place to visit and wondered if there any better alternatives for public transport in 2016 than what I'd found.

P. S. Parkbus would be a perfect option, but it operates only from July, alas.

Thanks in advance!

6/09/2016 7:26 pm  #2

Re: Toronto To Algonquin Via Public Transport in 2016

Unless you have all your own camping equipment,  you should maybe  also look into the cost of renting everything you need if you don' t have your own, like tents, sleeping bags, canoe, cooking equipment as well how you're going to get your food? If you don't drive, there are not a lot of stores in the park to buy food, and outfitters don't likely have everything you need. Algonquin outfitters has a website where you can find some of these costs. Not only that, you have to make reservations for lakes that have campsites in Algonquin park, and maybe as well for your needed equipment etc. Canoe lake is very popular.
You should also know that hanging your food away from your camp site up in a tree is highly recommended due to animal activity, which can range from raccoons to bears to other small animals.
I don't have a good answer for you regarding how you get from Huntsville to one of the outfitters, I'm not sure where the park bus stops.
I do know however that it is Too far to hike from  huntsville to the outfitters at canoe lake as you only have a few days.
I'm sure there are taxi companies in Huntsville, but I can't help you with the cost on that.
Bug season is also in full swing by the end of June, there can be many mosquitos, black flies and deer flies, which all bite.
Maybe another member will be able to help you further with your questions

Hope this helps a bit

6/10/2016 7:38 am  #3

Getting into Algonquin or any backcountry area without a car and not on the ParkBus schedule will be very difficult. Sorry to say. There have been other discussions here about getting from Huntsville to a Highway 60 access point without a car, and I don't think there were ever any solid conclusions, though maybe those who tried it can pipe in.

Your best bet might be to plan a canoe trip from one of the western access points (access points 1 through 4, or perhaps 29). You'd take the Northland bus to the closest stop on Highway 11 and arrange for a pickup from the local outfitter, from whom you'd then rent a canoe and get a ride to the access point. For access points 2 through 4, you'd deal with Algonquin Basecamp or Canoe Algonquin, and your bus stop would be Emsdale. For access point 1, you'd deal with Voyageur Quest or Northern Wilderness Outfitters, and your bus stop would be South River. For access point 29, you'd deal with Algonquin North, and they explain taking the bus right to their shop: http://www.algonquinnorth.com/BusService.aspx

But I'm not sure any of these options are great for you. In all cases you would still have to deal with the Northland bus schedule which you've explained is not convenient for you. And there would be extra expenses (and possibly lag time) involved in getting transportation from the outfitters, on top of the canoe rental.

I'm surprised you say you can't call Independent Taxi from Russia. Were you trying a toll-free number (with an area code starting in 8, like 800 or 866)? Because yes, those are usually only for calls from within the country or region. If you make a normal long distance call to Independent Taxi at 705-788-9125 I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Edit - you could also consider a canoe trip to Temagami instead of Algonquin, since the Northland bus makes stops right in Temagami and Temagami North, which have outfitters and access points right there. But then you have the same problem with the Northland schedule, in fact worse, since it's a longer trip and I think it involves a transfer in North Bay. I also think the Hammond info is out of date, they were basically replaced by ParkBus? Not totally sure though.

Last edited by DanPM (6/10/2016 7:40 am)

6/10/2016 10:42 am  #4

I'd suggest you call Algonquin Outfitters in Huntsville at 705-787-0262 and ask them for advice in logistics - they might know something that we don't. They could also arrange for all your outfitting. Huntsville is outside of the park, but it's on bus route as far as I understand. AO also have an outfitting store inside the park, on Opeongo lake - another popular access point, just a bit further East from Huntsville than Canoe lake. But if you want to be able to find transportation at exact time, like after 1:40, but before 5:40, it would be tough unless you order car service.

6/10/2016 11:27 am  #5

One of the stops of the Parkbus is Canoe Lake:

https://www.parkbus.ca/algonquin

The company has expanded a great deal.  You should check it out.  Prices are listed right on their site.

They even offer packages for canoe/camping.  I didn't check out the details, but it might be of interest.

Barbara

Last edited by Barbara (6/10/2016 11:28 am)

Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one.

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

6/10/2016 4:59 pm  #6

Note the P.S. in the OP's post.

6/10/2016 9:29 pm  #7

Barbara wrote:

One of the stops of the Parkbus is Canoe Lake:

https://www.parkbus.ca/algonquin

The company has expanded a great deal.  You should check it out.  Prices are listed right on their site.

They even offer packages for canoe/camping.  I didn't check out the details, but it might be of interest.

Barbara

Parkbus begins 01july.

6/14/2016 8:12 pm  #8

Thanks to all who has answered. We did some research including directions mentioned here and finally decided that it really would be too complex and expensive; we will hike Bruce Trail instead.

As for calling Taxi -- you were right, it's just my foolishness. I've called them -- if anybody interested, Huntville-Canoe Lake route in one direction costs 90$ now.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.