You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/02/2016 8:20 pm  #1

Planning first Algonquin trip in 20 years

Hey everyone, new here to the board and so far loving all the information.  I am planning on making my first visit to Algonquin in i think about 20 years or more. Looking forward to getting out for about 5 days or so likely late summer (early September I think)  I am looking to try and get some seclusion but am not quite ready to try a canoe of backpacking trip ( fitness level is definitely not there, and the skills are VERY rusty)  Purpose of this trip will be relaxation, photography and fishing.  Will be coming from the other side of Toronto but driving distance is really not a factor. Have been seriously considering either Brent or Achray.  Looking for any thoughts and recommendations on anything.  I have an inflatable pontoon boat for fishing (with trolling motor) But have also thought of renting a canoe to get out a bit and to reaquaint myself as I haven't been in a canoe in many many years

Thanks for any help and info

Mike

6/06/2016 6:56 pm  #2

Re: Planning first Algonquin trip in 20 years

seems to me you better find out which algonquin lakes allow boats with motors. You dont say wether you are planning to do any overnight camping.  Tent? camper or trailer? staying at a campground or elsewhere? day trips with a canoe? or just a few hours for fishing? Give us a few more details in order to give you some info.

6/06/2016 7:05 pm  #3

From my current research it seems there are many lakes that allow at least trolling motors, but even then that is not a huge deal as i can also get around with oar and kick power (fins on feet)  This is a 5 or so night camping trip I am planning with the primary purposes being lots of fishing and lots of photography.  Have been planning on one of the main campgrounds but do have a part of me thinking of stretching my limits and making it a base camping style back country trip. But that is a topic for another part of the forum.

6/06/2016 7:31 pm  #4

Don't be afraid to consider Rock Lake.  I'm sure if you booked something after labour day you'd have some seclusion at the campground.  Or if you wanted to try a base camp back country trip it a great spot to start.  No portages, motors are allowed, and lots of water.  You also have many other options if the weather don't co-operate.  ie nearby hiking trails, Visitor Centre & even Whitney. 

6/07/2016 7:18 pm  #5

Rock lake campground in the beginning of September ( even after the long weekend) can be fully booked up if the weather is good, had this experience several years in a row as I too like to go out in September.  you can also book interior campsites  on rock lake that are accessible from the campground.
Rock lake campground is a short drive fromhw 60.
i am not familiar with Brent or Acheray.

Lake of two rivers campground also gives you access to lakes as well as a part of the Madawaska river. Although we encountered beaver dams galore in the river a couple years back. Lots of hiking trails there as well, and a small store close by.

Hope this helps a bit

6/09/2016 6:28 pm  #6

Thanks all for the replies!  Definitely giving me some stuff to think about.  Starting to lean more towards one of the hwy 60 campgrounds.  Although maybe not as quiet it would be a heck of a lot less driving and in many way perhaps more enjoyable with more to do. Not to mention I'm sure the weekdays in September will be much quieter even there.  The backcountry idea if I am honest with myself I just dont think its a good idea at this stage.  But with a little work this year and renting a canoe once or twice hopefully I can change that next year.  
Thanks again for the replies! more stuff to research now!

Mike

6/09/2016 7:02 pm  #7

Rock lake campground is made up of two campgrounds- small ones- the B campground is mostly used by people with tents, although I've seen small trailers and campers there too. There are hot showers near campground A, a short drive away. I found campground B very quiet most of the time, and many campsites are right on the water.
You cannot hear the highway from the Rock lake camp ground.
Lake of two rivers is right on the highway and may not be as quiet. Have fun with it all, the leaf changes are nearer the end of September, beginning of October and are absolutely spectacular most years

6/10/2016 11:16 am  #8

Lake Opeongo might be a good choice, there are lots of sites fairly close to the outfitters store tons of water, if you get in a jam there is plenty of traffic so help would be fairly close at hand. One thing to consider would be the size of the lake and the September wind if your in a canoe. Only issue is the traffic but you could find a back bay away from the main channel and it would be fairly quiet. The outfitters also have water taxies that could ferry you to a quieter area and pick you up at the end of your trip allowing you to daytrip from your basecamp. The east arm near Annie bay is nice but I'm not sure if the sites book up fast in September.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.