You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/19/2016 1:16 pm  #1

My Self Reliance - Spring 2016 Solo Canoe Trip: Magnetawan Lake

My trip on May 6 was a blast again. I've uploaded the first two videos (1 per day) on my YouTube channel. Can't wait to go back!

https://youtu.be/G12tkqcDrQQ
https://youtu.be/yahHg9PUUxw

5/19/2016 1:41 pm  #2

Re: My Self Reliance - Spring 2016 Solo Canoe Trip: Magnetawan Lake

Are you leaving the camera to film, paddling away all calm and cool, then editing out where you turn back to go pick it up?

Whatever it is, it looks good.

5/19/2016 1:43 pm  #3

That's awesome stuff Shawn I can't wait to see the rest!  I long to do that kind of tripping once I retire in a few years.  Are you able to shed some light as to your gear (specifically: canoe, sleep system, cook system, etc.)?  Watching this while at work is totally giving me the itch to get back out there...Thanks again for sharing.

5/19/2016 3:28 pm  #4

Shawn
All I can say is..............."sigh"

Thanks for sharing and can't wait to see the rest.

@ Steve
Shouldn't you be working? Lol

"Anyone can make love in a canoe, it's a Canadian who knows enough to take out the centre thwart!        Bahahaha!
                                                                      - Philip Chester

5/19/2016 7:29 pm  #5

holycow wrote:

Are you leaving the camera to film, paddling away all calm and cool, then editing out where you turn back to go pick it up?

Whatever it is, it looks good.

😀 Yep.  Glad I look calm and cool.
My first videos were all first person, mostly from the canoe and even I found them boring. Adding shots of me is more interesting and brings me back to the moment.

5/19/2016 7:31 pm  #6

kellycamps wrote:

Shawn
All I can say is..............."sigh"

Thanks for sharing and can't wait to see the rest.

@ Steve
Shouldn't you be working? Lol

Thanks, the next one's up now and I'll load another in the morning.
Graphic warning, if you don't like to see someone cook and eat fresh fish, skip days 3 and 4.

5/19/2016 7:39 pm  #7

Steve E wrote:

That's awesome stuff Shawn I can't wait to see the rest!  I long to do that kind of tripping once I retire in a few years.  Are you able to shed some light as to your gear (specifically: canoe, sleep system, cook system, etc.)?  Watching this while at work is totally giving me the itch to get back out there...Thanks again for sharing.

Hey Steve, I consider you a veteran with lessons of your own to teach.

Since you're working so hard anyways  you may want to browse some of my other videos on my channel, or even better, the blog. I've tried to showcase all of my gear.  The links are in my signature.

If not, here are a few brief answers.

Canoe - 26.5 lb Swift Keewaydin 14'
54" Grey Owl paddle
205 cm Werner Shuna kayak paddle
Outdoor Research Advanced Bivy
Thermarest Trekker xlite (?)
Western Mountaineering bag
Kelly Kettle Trekker with hobo stove
Toaks titanium pots

And if you're quick and motivated, the first person to make it to Anchor Island on Burntroot Lake is the lucky winner of a Salus pfd loaded with fishing gear and a decent spinning rod!  DOH!  Don't ask.

5/20/2016 7:33 am  #8

Thanks Shawn!  That canoe looks sweet.  Sure beats my 85+ pound Old Town! 

Did you run into any other paddlers on you trip?  Looks like you had lots of solitude

5/20/2016 8:09 am  #9

Steve E wrote:

Thanks Shawn!  That canoe looks sweet.  Sure beats my 85+ pound Old Town! 

Did you run into any other paddlers on you trip?  Looks like you had lots of solitude

I know what you mean, I'm thinking about a 2 or 3 day trip next week with my 65 lb wood and canvas. I'm spoiled with the Keewaydin, so I'll probably do a more portage friendly loop somewhere.

Surprisingly, I ran into more people than I expected. Just one canoe on the Petawawa itself, but none on many of the lakes.  I had Grassy Bay, Misty and Burntroot to myself at night, which did surprise me, and then very few people on the smaller lakes between Misty and Rain (nobody until Jubilee)

5/23/2016 5:47 am  #10

Next two videos are up.

Warning, these videos contains graphic images of cleaning and cooking fish.

https://youtu.be/8h2UUJUsHOE

https://youtu.be/z7l8Lt5Cco0

5/23/2016 10:47 am  #11

Thanks for sharing Shawn. I had to turn away at the part where you clean and eat the fish but other than that it was very enjoyable. Sigh.......

K

"Anyone can make love in a canoe, it's a Canadian who knows enough to take out the centre thwart!        Bahahaha!
                                                                      - Philip Chester

5/27/2016 3:29 pm  #12

Day 5 is up.  No fishing, Kellycamps

https://youtu.be/keenx2s7pkI

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.