You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/22/2016 8:25 am  #1

Campsite Pirates!

This just happened this weekend to my sister in-law and her husband down at Kingscote Lake:
-They show up early and drop their gear off at a nearby open campsite (canoe access) right away, because the lake was already busy
-They set up their hammock but didn't actually pitch their tent
-They paddled up the lake for about 15 minutes but noticed another canoe at their site, so they paddled back immediately
-Another couple had landed, taken down the hammock and some other things, stuffed it all back into the packs, declared that the equipment they'd found had been abandoned and claimed the campsite as their own!  They were quickly finishing up pitching their own tent while they were telling this to my in-laws....
-I won't get into too many specifics about the long confrontation that followed but essentially the usurpers taunted them with things like "go ahead and call a ranger, I'd like to see you get one out here!" and as my in-laws packed up and left in disgust, they got some parting photos of the girl waving goodbye and taunting them out of earshot.

Well it now looks like a ranger IS heading out there to have a chat with these two special people, but it raises some questions...

My sister in-law has been camping in the park for years and has never experienced anything like this (nor have I), Usually they camp in the backcountry where there's less traffic.  I guess I'm wondering for those of you who do frequent more easily accessed lakes, is this common and what are the specific rules surrounding "claiming a campsite"? 
Honestly I don't know if I would have handled it as well as they did....my thoughts immediately went to grabbing their tent and tossing it in the lake!  Obviously that wouldn't have been very productive, so I'd like to know more about the rules surrounding this....

5/22/2016 8:28 am  #2

Re: Campsite Pirates!

I should also add that my in-laws had a reservation on the lake and there were other campsites still available to this precious couple....

5/22/2016 10:53 am  #3

"Claiming a campsite" is usually interpreted to mean that a tent is present. But there are always instances when a simple sleeping hammock or bivouac bag & tarp comprise a set camp. I would interpret the presence of campsite equipment (erected or not) to mean that the site is occupied.

I think that maybe these "pirates" were re-interpreting  the facts to suite their own wishes. The presence of camping equipment, tent, food-pack, hammock and other gear equates to occupancy in my mind.

However, sometimes people will hoist a clothes line and a  towel in a effort to "hold" a campsite while they hunt for a better one elsewhere. Maybe the "pirates" had previously been burned by having a lake's vacant campsites "flagged" in this fashion? Not that that's a valid excuse for "pirating" an occupied campsite!

5/22/2016 11:05 am  #4

If that had happened to my crew it would be them seeking out a Ranger and probably a new tent as well. Just saying...
What is wrong with people?

5/22/2016 1:36 pm  #5

I will not confront these people, it might be dangerous. I will move to some other site as far away as possible. May be picking up their paddles on my way out. Or return during the night and take the paddles. Night paddling is very relaxing.

5/22/2016 3:08 pm  #6

Wow! an encounter like this never happened to us and I can understand how quickly something like this could escalate. My hats go off to your sister-in-law and her husband on how they handled it.  Just curious though why they left everything there w/out formally setting up camp to take a spin around the lake? Scratching my head on that one. . .

5/22/2016 4:06 pm  #7

I get the impression, having never been to the lake, that they wanted to look at the rest of the place before settling at the first site.  I don't see anything inherently wrong with that as long as they've left all their gear at the first spot (which they did) and not try to "claim" several sites by leaving portions of their gear all over the place.  If they wanted to move later, other groups would have already passed by and had first dibs at the remaining sites, so no advantage there.

In hindsight they probably should have set up their tent as well but it takes some gall to pack up somebody else's stuff and then get aggressive like that.  Apparently the Ranger asked for the picture and promised to follow up with them when he made contact.
......and yeah, jumping into their canoe also crossed my mind, crazy how quickly something like that can escalate depending on the people involved!

5/22/2016 9:22 pm  #8

Definitely unacceptible behaviour on the 'Pirates'.

Dumping your stuff to hold a site while you go looking for a better one is also a bit of a dick move. Especially when you know the lake is busy. I would say if you want to claim a site you should get off the fence and set up camp.

5/23/2016 10:44 am  #9

Kurt wrote:

Apparently the Ranger asked for the picture and promised to follow up with them when he made contact. 

Many here, myself included, would be interested in hearing what the Ranger's actions are. Please be sure to post an update.

Dave

5/24/2016 8:19 am  #10

Firm believer that 90% of the time life gives you back what you put out their yourself. The pirates are likely not very happy people. No one that selfish can be in my opinion. Almost feel sorry for them. 

That said.. missing paddles .. sounds about right to me. 

Last edited by ShawnD (5/24/2016 8:23 am)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

5/24/2016 8:42 am  #11

EddyTurn wrote:

I will not confront these people, it might be dangerous. I will move to some other site as far away as possible. May be picking up their paddles on my way out. Or return during the night and take the paddles. Night paddling is very relaxing.

I hope this is a joke and not something anyone would actually do. Whether or not the original actions were assholish or not, stealing paddles is worse, imo, and puts people in danger.

5/24/2016 10:55 am  #12

Most of the time when I'm solo a hammock and a bag or 2 is it. So hammock set up and bag on the ground would be done for me. So no justifiable reason why they should have done that. 

I would agree though there is a fine line to walk between not letting some jerks walk all over you and making things worse. Like I said though karma will likely sort those people out.  Would have a hard time just packing up my gear and leaving though after the bully stole my lunch money.

Last edited by ShawnD (5/24/2016 10:55 am)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.

5/24/2016 3:14 pm  #13

MartinG wrote:

Definitely unacceptible behaviour on the 'Pirates'.
... I would say if you want to claim a site you should get off the fence and set up camp.

Beg your pardon, this is nonsense. There are situations when you can't set up a camp immediately, and why should you? May be you went fishing or looking for other boats in your party to inform them where you are - or whatever reason. Damping your backpack where it could be seen from the water is more than enough to claim a site. The alternative is a legal claim stamped by the judge.

5/24/2016 3:57 pm  #14

Eddy I don't think your examples are what Martin was taking issue with.

Standing on campsite A and wondering if Campsite B which is say 20
Mins away is better and available so you dump half your stuff on campsite A while you go check out B. 

That isn't claiming a single site then going fishing or looking for a friend. That is hedging your bets. And I would concur with Martin. Not the classiest of moves.

Last edited by ShawnD (5/24/2016 6:13 pm)

5/24/2016 7:26 pm  #15

5/24/2016 9:12 pm  #16

MartinG wrote:

My new screensaver.

5/24/2016 10:37 pm  #17

ShawnD wrote:

MartinG wrote:

My new screensaver.

People still use screensavers?

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.