You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/20/2016 9:45 am  #1

Anchor Island - when and how was the anchor returned

Speaking of Anchor Island, does anyone know when and how the anchor was returned?  The last forum thread I saw on this topic was this one from a couple of years ago.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/352882/thread/1416583587/2/Burntroot+Anchor

Here's a picture I took of it on May 9th, with a new heavy duty clasp hopefully making it even more difficult to move again.

5/20/2016 2:34 pm  #2

Re: Anchor Island - when and how was the anchor returned

That's good news. Glad it made it home. As to how????

5/21/2016 5:41 am  #3

But is it really "home"?  Isn't its real "home" with the rest of the alligator remains on the mainline?

edit:  mainland not mainline!  (I guess I must be listening to too much Ry Cooder these days. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KAwFPxpGGY )

Last edited by rgcmce (5/21/2016 7:49 am)

5/21/2016 9:32 am  #4

I don't think anyone ever determined how and when it made it there in the first place. Maybe that is where it was placed by the loggers. I wonder how long it's been called or referred to as anchor island?

5/22/2016 7:04 am  #5

It belonged with the Alligator at some point. Bob, do you know if the anchor was with the Alligator when you first visited?

I could be wrong, but I think the name Anchor Island is just an advent of AA and Jeffs Map.

5/22/2016 7:07 am  #6

MartinG wrote:

It belonged with the Alligator at some point. Bob, do you know if the anchor was with the Alligator when you first visited?

I could be wrong, but I think the name Anchor Island is just an advent of AA and Jeffs Map.

Probably, I recently noticed the asterisk beside the name on his map

5/22/2016 11:47 am  #7

Yea I just heard the name on AA and put it on the map

I make paddling maps! – MapsByJeff.com

5/23/2016 6:07 am  #8

I can't remember -- one way or the other -- whether an anchor was with the remains on the mainland in 1976.  It did have a full drum of cable, however.  We didn't visit "Anchor Island" on that trip.

And I'm pretty sure there is no anchor associated with the remains on Catfish Lake.  At Catfish Lake, the cable drum is empty, so it must have been salvaged.  Perhaps the anchor was too.

Bob M

5/24/2016 6:56 pm  #9

Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one.

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

8/16/2016 7:47 am  #10

Great news!  I'll be on Burntroot next week, so happy that I'll get to check it out!  Thanks for sharing :-)

9/21/2016 2:27 pm  #11

Autumn is a period of great animal activity in Algonquin Park. It is the time of rut for the moose. Beaver are active gathering food for winter. They can and do move rather large logs as well as small twigs to build dams and add to their lodges and food piles.  Last fall another Beaver, of the Turbo type, moved the large anchor. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.