You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/16/2016 12:23 pm  #1

Knife sheath

I have an Ontario R.A.T. 7 knife that I am interested in getting a new sheath for. The sheath it came with is a very poor nylon one. I'm very happy with the knife itself as it is full tang, and serves its purpose fine. Problem is the sheath flaps around on my leg as I walk and only allows me to carry it on my belt hanging straight down. Just wondering if anyone has a good recommendation where I can go to get a better sheath and set-up for it. I've looked online at kydex sheaths but not sure I trust that as being secure enough to hold such a large knife. I expect whatever I do will be custom and not cheap 😬. Any suggestions, feedback is appreciated.

"Anyone can make love in a canoe, it's a Canadian who knows enough to take out the centre thwart!        Bahahaha!
                                                                      - Philip Chester

5/16/2016 1:09 pm  #2

Re: Knife sheath

Hi

If you post your question in the canadiangunnutz.com form under the edged tools and weapons heading they can recommend a sheath maker to suit your needs

5/16/2016 1:20 pm  #3

I have no experience with this but I wonder if a cobbler or shoe repair place would be able to make you a custom leather sheath. With their equipment, they'd be able to do the leather work and may be able to make something that would work. 

I know I've had my leather jacket repaired at a cobbler a few times. I bet some would be open to custom jobs. 

5/16/2016 3:50 pm  #4

I'll try that site bansidthe. Thanks
Not sure I'd trust the local cobbler with a leather project like that but it did remind me there is a leather supply shop in town that might be able to direct me to some people who do this kind of work. Thanks for the info.

"Anyone can make love in a canoe, it's a Canadian who knows enough to take out the centre thwart!        Bahahaha!
                                                                      - Philip Chester

5/16/2016 6:14 pm  #5

I had a sheath for my silky saw made as the silky doesn't lock shut and the plastic case it comes with I didn't love. Didnt want it opening in my pack.

Found a guy on etsy.com who makes custom stuff. Better price than just about everyone else.

https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/HighlandHordeOutdoor

He will put your name on it or do custom encravings as well if you send him a pic. No extra charge.

What he made for me.

Last edited by ShawnD (5/16/2016 6:26 pm)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

5/16/2016 7:13 pm  #6

Very nice Shawn!
I'll look into that too. I hate the nylon sheath. It has to go!

- Philip Chester

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.