You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/09/2016 3:26 pm  #1

In Search of Hiking Pants

What are your favourite hiking/camping pants? Extra points for suggestions for women's pants. 

I need a new pair of pants and I am having a hard time finding anything. I have a great pair of summer weight pants from Columbia that are quick drying and can roll up to capris. But I need  a pair that are more suitable to spring and fall hiking/paddling/camping. 

It seems everything I've tried on either has skinny-style legs (not for me) or are ultra wide leg (like the Prana Halle pants) which get bogged down in the muck. I also have a heck of a time finding women's technical clothing that fits big hips and thighs. Everything seems to be cut for slim, "magazine fit" women. 

Anyone have any favourites brands or styles?

5/09/2016 5:20 pm  #2

Re: In Search of Hiking Pants

I think top end would be the Fjallraven Vidda Pro pants. Great material, well thought out, double fabric on knees and butt, great layout of pockets. Expensive though, very expensive. For me, I am waiting for them to go on sale, even a bit, but at the end of the day, I think they are worth it. They also have a wide range of sizes, although in store fitting is best as the (european) sizing is a little confusing, as their conversion to north american sizing is actually a bit off, and also different between american and canadian sites, so online ordering is risky.

Prana stretch zions are also great and while not cheap, much cheaper than the vidda pros, but it sounds like you have already looked at Prana products.

Hope this helps.

Moonman.

5/09/2016 7:15 pm  #3

my favourite hiking/canoeing/camping pants are used army fatigues.  I was lucky enough to get a few pairs many years back and they have held up for probably 15 years.  The pants are quick drying, have lots of pockets, and are very roomy.  I have been looking at the hiking pants in the outdoor stores and I'd have a hard time finding a pair that would fit well cause I'm short.  I wear them for spring, summer and fall camping.  If you can ever get your hands on a pair of fatigues they'll serve you well.

5/10/2016 7:47 am  #4

Honestly, I stick with jeans. They are thick enough to protect from bug bites and combined with a pair of breathable rain pants are pretty warm. Even when wet, I find jeans retain heat better than a pair of quick dry nylon pants. I actually tested that last spring when a thunderstorm came through and my quick dry pants were soaked before I got around to putting rain pants on. 

5/10/2016 9:09 am  #5

Hey Moonman! The Fjallraven pants are incredible. My husband is always on the look out for sales. If he ever sees a good one; I'll try to remember to give you a head's up.

But you're right about the sizing. I'd like to try them on but I can only ever find stores carrying the mens pants. A lot of the outdoor stores in my area (large chains and local stores) carry lots of very technical men's clothing but only carry the more mainstream women's versions. It's frustrating. 

If anyone knows anywhere around Guelph that carries women's Fjallraven, let me know! 

For other women, I'm tempted by redantspants.com. They are technically work pants for women (think agriculture and construction) but they may be a good shoulder season outdoors pant. I just wish they weren't so expensive and hard to get. 

5/10/2016 9:36 am  #6

I will second the Fjallraven Vidda Pro pants. I have a pair that I bought for shoulder season and winter camping. I love them. At about 170, they are steep, but not absurdly expensive, however, at that price I would make sure to get the right fit. I just tried some on the in the stores till I found the right fit, then ordered the colour I wanted online through their Canadian site during a sale. If these ones got lost or destroyed I would buy another pair in a second. 

I also have a pair of their Keb hiking pants (on sale)...the ones with the stretch material. They are well designed, but I feel like the stretch material will just give out one day....don't know if I would recommend them as much.

5/10/2016 11:55 am  #7

my outdoors pants in cool weather are mens dress wool pants. wool is warm when wet, lots of room. 6 bucks at the "good will" or "sally anne" shop?  just back from pen lake a few days ago and several people along the trail asked me about my pants, nice people eh, only in algonquin park,
  no bugs, no fish!! good time had by all.

5/10/2016 12:16 pm  #8

Swedish Pimple: I never would have thought of wool dress pants but it makes so much sense. I'd wear wool head to toe if I could (and if I added wool pants to my closet, I could!). 

5/10/2016 12:18 pm  #9

not on sale the best pice for Fjallraven pants is here I think.

Members get 10% off and membership is free. And free shipping.

http://www.monodsports.com/fjallraven-men-s-vidda-pro-pant-s16

Last edited by ShawnD (5/10/2016 12:19 pm)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

5/11/2016 12:52 pm  #10

As of today.the Fjallraven pants are on sale here

.https://www.liveoutthere.com/fjallraven-men-vidda-pro-trousers-regular.html

womens too.but only in red..

https://www.liveoutthere.com/fjallraven-women-vidda-pro-w-regular.html

Last edited by ShawnD (5/11/2016 12:54 pm)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

5/11/2016 1:55 pm  #11

Thanks for the head's up ShawnD!

For others following along, they also have the Fjallraven Nikka pants on sale: https://www.liveoutthere.com/fjallraven-womens-nikka-trousers.html

Just ordered a pair. No idea if the sizing will work but Live out There offers free returns so I figured it's worth a shot. 

5/11/2016 5:27 pm  #12

Hey Shaw Thanks! Just grabbed a pair as well. They had my size and that was the colour I wanted. Awesome thanks again!

Moonman.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.