You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/10/2016 3:59 pm  #1

New to me old equipment buy

I would like to introduce you to my midlife crisis, a 1967 Old Town Lightweight Canvas.  15' (4.5 meters) long, 35.5" (90 cm)  beam, weighs in at a slender 58 pounds (26 kg).  I am the second owner.  Owner #1 took really good care of it and I will try to do the same.  The wood is terrific.  Original canvas that was repainted at some point, but it isn't checked, tearing or peeling, brittle, etc.  I'll be giving it some local sea trials (ok, lake and stream trials), and if it passes muster, will be my steady companion on a solo trip in the Fall.   If it doesn't pass muster, well, looks like I'll have some canvas work to do....but I'm optimistic because at the moment I have no reason to pop my own balloon.  I've been waiting to pull the trigger on a canvas boat for many years, and finally said sheesh, how old are you going to let yourself get before you do this?  With a lightweight model I will need to exercise even more care than one might with a....what would you call it...traditionally weighted....canvas canoe, but as I go through my fifties and beyond, I figure a little lighter is a little easier.  I'm just super-excited about this pretty little boat and wanted to share. 

5/10/2016 8:17 pm  #2

Re: New to me old equipment buy

nice looking boat, enjoy.

5/10/2016 8:48 pm  #3

Beautiful!
Good on you! "You can't take it with you" as they say, so enjoy it, and happy tripping.

K

"Anyone can make love in a canoe, it's a Canadian who knows enough to take out the centre thwart!        Bahahaha!
                                                                      - Philip Chester

5/10/2016 9:00 pm  #4

Awesome. Been scratching that itch lately as well . Found a couple within reason just so hard to justify  with 2 boats already. Passed on a beauty langford last summer. Insert kick here. Guy was only asking $750. Unfortunatley car repairs were priority.  Alas, still no Cedar strip. Someday. I can feel it.  Enjoy.

5/11/2016 10:33 am  #5

I get that for sure.  I was waiting for the other shoe to drop bill-wise and our cars did not disappoint.  They never do.  I'll deal with the cars though.  The canoe stays.  Our kids are old enough now that we can't shove everybody into one canoe for an afternoon paddle, but are old enough that I can teach them some technique so either will be able to stern the pre-existing canoe (which will become the next big argument between them).  A second canoe was needed. one could obviously question my choice though. 

A very cool feature of this purchase, which I failed to mention earlier, is that my wife was very supportive of the purchase.  I wasn't sure how that would go.  It was really awesome to have her drive out with me knowing that she was totally good with it and wanting it to be a shared thing for us.  She said look, you've wanted to do this for a long time, your 50th birthday last year was a total bust (100% absolutely and undeniably true), let's go for it.  The experience is so much better knowing that she wasn't saying yeah, go for it then rolling her eyes a little.     

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.