You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/02/2016 12:26 pm  #1

Outfitters on the West Side for Access Point 3

Was wondering which outfitter people prefer for Access Point 3. We just need canoes. Thanks

4/02/2016 12:42 pm  #2

Re: Outfitters on the West Side for Access Point 3

The two choices are basically Canoe Algonquin and Algonquin Basecamp. I've only ever used Canoe Algonquin. They're conveniently located quite close to the permit office in Kearney, and if you get back after hours you can drop off the key etc at their house next to the shop. I've also heard they'll let customers camp on the lawn of the shop if you arrive in the evening the night before your trip, which is more practical than using the jump-off site at the access point. Haven't used that service though. On top of the rental, if you don't want to roof-mount the canoes they charge $50 for delivering any number of canoes to the access point, so the more canoes you're renting the more economical the delivery service is.

Last edited by DanPM (4/02/2016 12:44 pm)

4/03/2016 4:21 pm  #3

I have used several outfitters along the west side.  My preference is  Algonquin Base Camp - Nice people (Family Business), friendly and the Souris River Canoes are SUPER light.  Which is awesome for people like me…and the price is perfectly reasonable. 

4/04/2016 8:15 am  #4

I can confirm that Canoe Algonquin will let you camp at their site the night before you put in. We usually drive up after work (4-5 hour drive) and camp the night before we head out. Camping at the Rain Lake access point doesn't work because we'd need to drive back into the permit office in the morning. Canoe Algonquin is a perfect option.

They also let us leave a car parked there for the duration of our trip.They will deliver your canoes to the access point for an additional fee as well. 

The only drawback to Canoe Algonquin is their canoes. I think they have Scott canoes. They are lightweight kevlar and they were great to paddle but they were not the easiest canoe to portage. They don't seem to balance as well on a portage as Swift canoes that you can get from rental places near Hwy 60. I wouldn't think twice about it unless I had a trip with long (>1km) or lots of portages. 

4/09/2016 2:10 am  #5

We have used Canoe Algonquin for years and recommend them. I also think they have started adding Swift canoes to their fleet since Scott Canoe is no longer in business.

Live Outside
www.OutsidewithClyde.com

4/18/2016 7:41 pm  #6

Forest tower use to be an awesome outfitter back in the day. used canoe algonquin a couple times they were good Id go back to them if I needed a rental. I find scott canoes are more sturdy in the water but the swifts are lighter and faster slightly. too bad about scott they made some really good canoes and lake freighters.

4/19/2016 7:24 am  #7

I'd go with Algonquin BaseCamp.

Given the limited outfitting options for the west side, BaseCamp has outstanding customer service coupled with newer, higher-quality rental gear when compared to other outfitters servicing the same access points.

4/19/2016 8:01 am  #8

Canoe Algonquin http://www.canoealgonquin.com/Rentals.html

Algonquin Basecamp http://algonquinbasecamp.ca/

We only ever used Canoe Algonquin.  We had bought our canoe long before Algonquin Basecamp showed up, so we never tried them.

Barbara

Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one.

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

4/19/2016 11:32 am  #9

I've used Canoe Algonquin many time and put my hammock up in there little tree grove. Have never had a problem and the service has been great!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.