You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/17/2016 6:55 pm  #1

Motor boat into the interior ?

just wondering how many people have actually taken a motor boat into the interior and by the interior I mean to hogan or la muir I figure it would be quite the slog portaging a motor but what about the gas you would need ? even with a cart on the cart trail. Has anyone out there done it and if so how ?

4/17/2016 8:18 pm  #2

Re: Motor boat into the interior ?

Well when I first starting going to Algonquin in the early eighties we use to use a small motor to get to the portage into Biggar. I asked my cousin what will we do with the motor and he smiled and said "You'll see" Go hundred feet into the bush and sure enough almost every tree has a motor chained to it. A lot like at Dickson lake how all the canoe carts are just a bit off the put in up in the bush.

A mans gotta do, what a man's gotta do.

4/17/2016 9:50 pm  #3

Was Hardcore wrote:

Well when I first starting going to Algonquin in the early eighties we use to use a small motor to get to the portage into Biggar. I asked my cousin what will we do with the motor and he smiled and said "You'll see" Go hundred feet into the bush and sure enough almost every tree has a motor chained to it. A lot like at Dickson lake how all the canoe carts are just a bit off the put in up in the bush.

Yup, been there and seen it going into Biggar. Mentioning Biggar, its a shame what has happened to the fishery there.

Anyway, re the original question, it depends on what type of boat and motor! Going into Hogan is would not be that bad, especially if you had a small boat or even square back canoe and a 2-3hp motor. The cart trail is actually a very good road for most of the way. What is more important is a good cart! Myself and a few of my Algonquin tripping buddies have custom built carts made from welded alluminum. Indestructable. High ground clearance. Use a ratchet strap to hold down your boat and take an extra tire. We got them made for travelling the dickson cart trail. We have only ever taken in regular canoes but a small tin can would be no problem.

Moonman.

4/18/2016 8:09 am  #4

I often wondered the same thing. I can't find it now but someone from the old site posted a picture of pickup trucks, a camper and boat trailer in what is essentially an unmarked campsite just up from the Hogan end of the cart trail. So, I imagine card holders and MNR types bring boats in from there.

Last edited by MartinG (4/18/2016 8:09 am)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.