You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/10/2016 5:41 pm  #1

Figure 8 route

Has anyone ever done a figure 8 route, where returning to the access point half way through their route with minimal back-tracking? Would appreciate any suggestions. Any access point is fine.

4/10/2016 6:41 pm  #2

Re: Figure 8 route

I've done a figure 8 loop before but not with the access point in the middle.

A figure 8 loop out of Grand Lake would be possible.  Up through the Carcajou system, down Grand, out to the Barron River and loop back up to Grand.  The only doubling up on lakes you'd do would be St. Andres, Stratton and the south end of Grand.

www.algonquinvoyageur.blogspot.ca
'...a man is part of his canoe and therefore part of all it knows. The instant he dips a paddle he flows as it flows.’ Sigurd Olson

4/10/2016 7:17 pm  #3

You could also go out of Cache.  Head north to Linda through Canisbay, down to Source, then back to Cache into Hilliard and around to Harness and back into Cache.

www.algonquinvoyageur.blogspot.ca
'...a man is part of his canoe and therefore part of all it knows. The instant he dips a paddle he flows as it flows.’ Sigurd Olson

4/10/2016 9:19 pm  #4

Have often thought of leaving from canoe lake and heading north to burnt island  then south through Linda, owl, Bruce and source on Route  back to canoe. Re supply if needed and grab lunch and a beverage at the portage store then head out on the oxtongue river and cross the highway  at park lake and back to smoke/canoe on the low maintenance Route south of 60.

4/10/2016 10:17 pm  #5

So what you're basically asking about is doing two non-overlapping loops, one right after the other, starting from the same access point, so that you swing by the access point between the two loops, mid way through your trip? I've never done such a thing but there are many possibilities, since there are 2 or more non-overlapping loops starting from some access points (I'm thinking Kiosk and Brent both have loops going in more than one direction) and there are loops starting from both Canoe and Smoke which can be easily portaged between. How long a trip are you looking for?

I've always used the term "figure 8 route" to mean a trip in which you complete one loop over 2 or more days, and at the farthest point in the loop you camp for 2 nights and use the layover day to do a day trip loop, so that you're covering maximum ground but saving on campsite set-up time and doing some portages without gear. But I guess that's not what you're asking about.

4/11/2016 5:31 am  #6

Yes DanPM, that is exactly what I was hoping to convey, 2 non-overlapping loops, one after the other, from the same access point. We like to go out on extended trips but as we get older, the carrying of gear becomes harder to manage. So a re-supply half way through the trip would make it much more manageable.  Thank you everyone for some great suggestions.

4/11/2016 7:24 am  #7

Why do you need to loop back to the same access point? I guess I can get it would be handy if you've got your resupply waiting in the parking lot, but the Canoe and Opeongo stores are right on the water and give you lots of resupply options, assuming we're just talking about food here. And don't forget about the Brent store. If I recall correctly, with enough advance notice Algonquin Outfitters will take a resupply package there for you. In my case someone from this forum (JB) was starting a camping trip from Cedar a week before I was putting in at Opeongo, and dropped off my resupply at the Brent store for me. 

So now that I ignored what you asked, I'll at least offer a suggestion that lines up with what you asked!

How about out of Magnetawan? Take the Petawawa down to Misty (and beyond), come back via Moccasin/Rain, then head out again through Ralph Bice to Rosebary and around. 

4/11/2016 11:58 am  #8

Not sure how many days you're planning, but here's a short one out of Shall Lake (Access #17).

Crotch->Shirley (possible out and back to Ryan/Shrew even McKaskill if you're ambitious)->Bridle->Farm.
Then Booth->Godda->Mole->McCarthy Creek and back. A very nice 5 to six day trip where you can return to your vehicle in the middle and only minimal backtracking.

-Matt

4/12/2016 5:36 am  #9

Thanks again everyone for some great insight and information.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.