You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/05/2016 4:36 pm  #1

Welcome lake portage bypass.

Hi everyone I'm heading to the Galipo lakes area again this spring.  Last year on out way home we ran into a group of younger guys at the portage from welcome back towards pen lake.   They told us they were gonna skip the portage by taking the river that runs along the portage (sort of).  They asked if we wanted to come with them.  It was pouring rain and we were soaked to the bone.   We decided we would just do the portage and not worry about the possibility of getting stuck halfway through and have to back track then walk the portage anyways.   We said no thx and we went our separate ways.
At one point we could see them paddling the river in the distance through the trees. That was the last we ever saw of them.  We single carried the portage so I think we made decent time when we got to the other end there was no signs of them.  No tracks on the next portage although it was raining super hard and could have easily made new tracks look old.   When we got out to the open part of pen no sight of them ahead of us and again no sight of them looking back from the end.   
So either they made it through so quick they finished in no time at all or they got stuck and ended up way behind us.   
Has anyone ever tried to do the river instead of doing the portage?
I'm adventurous enough to try it if we're possible I don't mind hauling the rental up over beaver dams.   
Any input?

4/05/2016 6:36 pm  #2

Re: Welcome lake portage bypass.

I've never heard of anyone running or lining the creek out of Welcome towards Pen before. Certainly the shorter portage from the pond down to Pen has to be carried as there are a few good drops along that portion but I've never tried to scout the longer upper section to see if it could shortened.

4/05/2016 7:06 pm  #3

In my experience, unless it's obvious that the bypass is navigable,  take the portage. It's there for a reason. We've  spent many hours needlessly wandering a could be bypass in hopes of discovering it was possible only to be denied and forced to retreat. Jeff's map labels some that are possible at high water levels. These I think you could trust with some reasonable confidence. I do like to skip the portage from Sawyer to Rain lake. Sometimes it's just nice not have to unload and reload.  It's not always quicker though lol.

4/08/2016 11:58 am  #4

Hi Donny,

I walked the river downstream about 300-400 yards last spring in early June.  I think from the limited section I saw it would be a tough slog.  Lots of old  blowdowns / logs /shallow riffles etc.  Also some good grade changes that may be difficult to scout and run with the amount of obstructions limited space of the channel.  Also not a very fun place bug wise in June as compared to the open hardwood portage... lol

If you do try it let us know how it goes.

Jon P

4/09/2016 9:29 am  #5

i did the whole creek to welcome lake via the creek from pen back in 1989. many obstructions along the creek, shallow water, and at least 3 rocky falls,,, the creek is all up hill.  i would would not attempt this route again. very hard on a canoe.  time consuming,,we used a old a.b.s. canoe.
    las time i checked the stream.from the welcome side,(3 years ago) there was hardly enough water to make a can of coffee. and the first marsh at the pen end was dry and walkable. to the portage. july 2012 

Last edited by swedish pimple (4/09/2016 9:30 am)

4/09/2016 12:57 pm  #6

The day we were there the river was pretty swollen from all the rain and also early spring. They headed downstream.  They had also claimed to have walked it the day before on a scouting mission. 
Not that I didn't believe them but I still wasn't convinced. A part of me wanted to do it but being soaked already and the rain not stopping we didn't want to risk any extra effort than what we signed up for.  Maybe I'll do a scouting mission for myself this year.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.