You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/13/2016 1:30 pm  #1

big crow lake

Im am looking for campsite information on big crow lake, specifically sites 7,8,9 marked on the pci project map, but no pics or descriptions available. Due to a sensitivity in my canoe partners hearing a site away from others is best for us. Can any one help in the description of those sites? or pics that are helpful? Ive tried to read all of the available information on blogs and triplogs, but have not find much useful information for those sites on the lake. 
Thanks

3/15/2016 6:35 am  #2

Re: big crow lake

Hi Brian. Here's the Big Crow map from the website's Portage Campsite Inventory (PCI) ... http://www.algonquinadventures.com/PCI/PCIindex.htm

So far, the project only has one campsite entry (#3) for Big Crow Lake ... http://www.algonquinadventures.com/PCI/lakes/BigCrow/BigCrowCS3.htm ..

3/15/2016 10:54 am  #3

Thank you Barry for posting the map, I have no idea how to do that,but that's very helpful indeed.

Brian; the map will tell you where 7,8,9 are, and I would love a description if you can remember. It will not be a spring trip, but an early fall one.

3/15/2016 5:03 pm  #4

I stayed at #3 and was very happy with it.

3/16/2016 11:21 am  #5

Stayed on Site #9 last year. I have a few photos in my blog of the site. Great sandy landing and swim spot. There are 2 fire pits, an outhouse, not very many places to hang your food barrel, but it was very spacious.

http://wabooseadventures.com/2015/07/05/algonquin-thunderbox-tour-part-one/

www.wabooseadventures.com 

Photographer | Blogger | Outdoors Woman | Canoeing | Camping | Hiking | Connecting with Nature | Landscape, Nature, and Wildlife Photography

3/16/2016 11:58 am  #6

Hi Tentster,

I was through Big Crow in 2014 and 2015 and stopped at a few of the sites two checked them out and stayed two nights.  I have included my impressions below and hope they are helpful but again realize picking a campsite can be completely subjective.
Campsites #1-#3 - Are all beach sites.  #3 was nice and open but was quite heavily used in May of 2015 so we opted for Site #1.  The beach was nice and the firepit overlooked the lake.  Note their was also a trail that connected it to Site #2 along a very steep embankment.
Campsite #4 - We stayed here in 2014 - We found it a very private site with a nice firepit, sheltered tent area in tall trees.  Shore line was rocky from what I remember.  Their was an area of large blow downs behind the site in which provided lots of easy firewood and we also stumbled across a black duck nest with about a dozen eggs which was neat.  Good privacy and shelter for our rip but perhaps not the best if you were looking for sun and swimming (we were there again in May).
I have never stopped at #7 & #8  but have passed by them quite closely on the way to the Hogan portage.  They did not have great appeal from the water and appear steep and somewhat cut out from the dense bush along a fairly straight and plain shoreline.
Campsite #9 was occupied the one time we passed but as previously mentioned is on a spit of land and looks more appealing from the water.  It looked like it would get some sun but also like it gets more use and as such you may have to go farther for firewood.

Hope this helps.  I may be able to dig up some photos of #4 if you are interested in more than 7,8 & 9 but be forewarned I am far from an avid photographer...

Jon

3/16/2016 3:33 pm  #7

Wow, thanks all, that's a lot of very helpful information! I love nothing better then
Reading the impressions others hAve.

I'm in  the nice position of being able to go to APP any time , but find the months of September and October suit me best, due to lack of bugs and it's not as busy.
Big crow will be our destination for several nights, and were not carrying on to lavielle or hogan. Other then to walk the portage(s). Photography and rest are our main focus. Sand and sun are always nice to have, sounds like we're picking the right lake for it!

Jonp, if you've got a few pics of site 4 I'm very interested.

Wabooshadventures, lovely  pics of site #9  and great trip log!

If anyone has any other helpful info, it's always welcome. I am a lifelong tent camper, retired, in just good enough shape to still do some portaging and I am partial to roomy sites with tall pines,sunny sites,and love beaches, but I'm not all that fussy, I'm easily satisfied with what ever I find, although fall camping has taught me to find protection from west and north winds if possible in case the weather forecast isn't great.

Wanda

3/17/2016 7:45 am  #8

tentsterforever wrote:

and were not carrying on to lavielle or hogan. Other then to walk the portage(s). Photography and rest are our main focus.

Hogan is SO beautiful! Hopefully you can make it there for some photos.

www.wabooseadventures.com 

Photographer | Blogger | Outdoors Woman | Canoeing | Camping | Hiking | Connecting with Nature | Landscape, Nature, and Wildlife Photography

3/31/2016 1:08 pm  #9

Don't have any first hand reports on #7 and #8 but I can relate one horror story about #9.  A friend of mine and his fiancé stayed there one rainy weekend and nearly had their tent float away, it's a low swampy spot....
The campsite at the extreme eastern end of the lake is isolated and has very nice little beach, as well as a drier, more sheltered site than #9

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.