You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/23/2016 9:04 am  #1

Tom Thomson at Achray in 1916

It has been almost 100 years since Tom Thomson began his fire ranging duties and moved into the Out-Side-In at Achray in late May / early June 1916.  This was his last full summer in the Park and I believe one of his most productive.

For many years, Diana and I have been interested in Thomson and his work.  Several years ago this interest evolved into a project to commemorate the 100th anniversary of his time at Achray.  Our goal was to match his paintings from that year with the actual locations where he did them. In the process we have had the opportunity to visit (and re-visit) many wonderful places on the east side of the Park, to sit in some of the spots where Thomson sat and to enjoy some of the views he saw, though their appearance has changed since his time due to forest growth.

The results (so far) of all this effort are now documented on our web page: http://www.mcelroy.ca/tom-thomson/ As we mention in the text, it is an on-going project, so things may be added or modified as time goes on.

Bob M

Last edited by rgcmce (4/03/2016 3:15 pm)

3/25/2016 8:42 pm  #2

Re: Tom Thomson at Achray in 1916

Kind of a timely tie-in to Bob's post .. This morning, my older daughter came by and presented me with this replica of the sign that hangs over the porch of Tom's old Achray cabin. She creates 'folk-art' signs and thought it would look good hanging somewhere around the house .. which it will!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.