You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/21/2016 8:29 pm  #1

PFD of Choice

I'm considering investing in a new PFD and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. The primary use will be for canoe trips and I'm not looking for anything too fancy. 

3/22/2016 8:03 am  #2

Re: PFD of Choice

After using my PFD for 25 years it was finally time to get a new one last year.  I went with this one from Mustang.  It has two pockets which are fleece lined and a flip down, fleece lined collar.

http://www.basspro.com/Mustang-Survival-ACCEL100-Fishing-Life-Jacket/product/13072706263355/

www.algonquinvoyageur.blogspot.ca
'...a man is part of his canoe and therefore part of all it knows. The instant he dips a paddle he flows as it flows.’ Sigurd Olson

3/22/2016 11:38 am  #3

My PFD of choice for the last few years is the Kokatut Outfit Tour: http://www.mec.ca/product/5024-223/kokatat-outfit-tour-pfd-unisex/?q=kokatut

I've been very, very pleased with it. Its main draw for me was the pocket space, which lets me keep all the stuff in it I'd need in an emergency. But it's proven to be a very comfortable paddling jacket as well. 

3/22/2016 12:23 pm  #4

+ 1 for the Kokatat Outfit. I just changed over from the Kokatat Outfit Tour to the Kokatat Bahia Tour as I needed the higher back for my Pack Canoe seat.

Almost the same jacket. Both are very comfortable. Forget I have it on. Great pockets on both.

Outfit pockets are better than the Bahia but the Bahia is more comfortable.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

3/22/2016 6:29 pm  #5

+1 for the Kokatat Outfit Tour. Great PFD. Love the pockets. I'm thinking of adding a back pack to it, because... more pockets!

3/22/2016 7:08 pm  #6

Ditto on the Kokatat Outfit Tour.  I added a knife to the upper right shoulder.  Has come in handy a couple times. Pockets hold a few emergency items, candies, kleenex, etc... Had it a couple years now and still think it was the perfect one to buy.

SeanOfAjax
Paddling Adventures Radio
www.paddlingadventuresradio.com
"Grab a paddle and get on the water"

3/23/2016 8:55 am  #7

As with the others here, I picked up the exact same PFD as Uppa.  It's awesome for storage and comfort.  It's also pretty great on the portage.

Another excellent choice (from what I've been told) is Salus.  A great Canadian company.

Good luck with the hunt,
JB

3/23/2016 10:38 am  #8

I considered the above mentioned Kokatat jackets but ended up with the Salus Angler for the additional storage. It contains my emergency kit as well as some fishing gear, so I consider lots of storage a necessary component of a tripping PFD.  By the other responses, most feel the same way.

3/23/2016 2:47 pm  #9

And also in terms of pricing.. I have noticed a couple of years in a row now trailhead paddle shack in Ottawa does off season sales.  I bought my Kokatat Bahia Tour online from them a couple of months ago. Paid $95. Full price I think is about $160. Outfit Tour is even more.

They do still have a Salus kayak angler on sale. If that interests you.  Only bigger sizes though..

http://trailheadpaddleshack.ca/store/salus-kayak-angler-pfd/dp/42320

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.