You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/22/2016 11:30 pm  #1

Outdoor Adventure Show

Had a good time at the show. Drooled over the new Swift canoes with carbon fibre everything, as well as the Gransfors Bruks axes at Cdn Outdoor Equipment.

Saw Adam Shoalt's presentation (he wrote Alone Against the North), Hap Wilson's talk about the history of Temagami, Goh Iromoto (he's the photographer who does a lot of canoeing and dogsledding films and Ontario tourism shorts), a park ranger speaking about the Spanish River, and two guys who trekked across the ice of Georgian Bay last winter. All interesting stuff, well organized and presented.

Jeff of Jeff's Maps looked busy. I left him alone.

Picked up a new titanium pot from the folks at Boreal Ventures, and stocked up my first aid kit with bandages from the First Aid Zone folks.

On my way out, the folks at Canadian Geographic were handing out free magazines. I opened one up and there was an award winning photo inside by and of Steve Elms in his hot tent. Congratulations!

Anybody else go? I'm curious about the Friday and Saturday presentations.

Last edited by Methye (2/22/2016 11:31 pm)

2/23/2016 9:22 am  #2

Re: Outdoor Adventure Show

I went on Saturday and spent about 3 hrs. Didn't see a lot there deal-wise (canoes seemed to be discounted by only $300 off the regular retail) but had a good time browsing the gear. The one thing I did buy was a new trekking pole from the Tent City booth. I had a nice talk with the guys from Paddle Shack and H2O and spied Kevin Callan but somehow missed Jeff. Where was he set up?

It wasn't as big as I was expecting. I thought there would be more there in terms of gear manufacturers rather than just some retailers. And the destination booths held no interest for me.

Last edited by Algonquintripper (2/23/2016 9:25 am)

Dave

2/23/2016 11:24 pm  #3

Jeff was at the front of the Canadian Outdoor Equipment booth, opposite tent city.
Just one trekking pole?

2/24/2016 9:05 am  #4

Methye wrote:

Jeff was at the front of the Canadian Outdoor Equipment booth, opposite tent city.

That's where I spied Kevin, I think.  I wouldn't know Jeff by sight but I didn't notice anything Jeff related at the show.

Methye wrote:

Just one trekking pole?

Just one needed replacement. More often than not, though, I only use one.

Dave

2/26/2016 1:53 pm  #5

Jeff and Kevin took turns at the corner table in the Canadian Outdoor Equipment Booth. 

Sean

SeanOfAjax
Paddling Adventures Radio
www.paddlingadventuresradio.com
"Grab a paddle and get on the water"

2/26/2016 4:44 pm  #6

we were there saturday and sunday. 
saturday, we saw 2 presentations: 1 was on photographing wildlife, and kevin's in the afternoon. He is funny. 

I bought a sling shot (I hope its not illegal to use it, I will use marbles or small pebbles and shot it). 

I also got some good quality Paracord at Boreal Ventures. 

I bought a book on Plants, because I love plants. It was just right beside Jeff's map. 
It was my first time in this show. I saw a rock climbing wall, but no rock climbing gears? I was hoping to see ATC's, descenders, Gri-gri, quickdraws.
How was it in past? Any climbing equipment? 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.