You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/31/2016 10:11 pm  #1

Kiosk to Opeongo.

I recently read an article from Explore magazine about a dad and teenage daughter canoe tripping from Kiosk to Opeongo over 12 days I believe. I cannot find my copy now but I recall the article stating it was a 300ish km trip. Unless may math is really off I think I calculated it being around 90+km. It was not the most direct route they took as they went through Burntroot perhaps to avoid some longer portage.  Does anyone know off hand the mileage this trip would be? Looking at the route 12 days seems excessive.  Although would be a nice relaxed pace. I guess what I'm getting at is would it be doable  in 4 or 5 days. Has anyone undertaken this trip and have advice on it. Looks like a great trip.

2/02/2016 7:10 am  #2

Re: Kiosk to Opeongo.

I did this route with a friend in the early 90s in early June. I remember it as the buggiest trip I've ever taken, and yet one of my favourites. It took us 6 days, with stops at Maple Lake, Osler, Whiskeyjack, Big Trout and Opeongo. If we'd used the Opeongo water taxi we certainly could have got out on day 5. We were single carrying and in pretty decent shape but we certainly weren't killing ourselves to get through it in a hurry. 12 days would either mean taking several extra rest days along the way or using a much more circuitous route. But even then, considering that the entire length of the Meanest Link is something like 350 km, I'm not sure how you would find 300 km between these two points alone.

I think what makes it a great route, heading directly south as we did, is that you quickly earn your keep in those first few days of intense portaging, particularly when you summit Heart Attack Hill (or as we knew it back then, Thunder Mountain) and the 1930m between the Nip and Remona. Then you are soon rewarded with great open paddling for pretty much the duration of the trip. If you choose to do it, I definitely recommend a side trip up to High Falls on the Nip. Definitely worth it for lunch and a dip below the falls in the right season. Or stay at the site at the bottom of the portage--not luxurious by any means but a lovely tranquil spot nestled against the foot of the rapids.

Great memories--writing about it makes me want to go back and do it again!

2/02/2016 11:48 am  #3

Shayne74 wrote:

Does anyone know off hand the mileage this trip would be?

You could just add up the km's on Jeff's map, no?

2/02/2016 11:57 am  #4

I did, just didn't want to do it again to confirm. The difference from my math to article on the same route is 200kms so wasn't sure if  i had missed something. Kiosk to opeongo  by road is only 288kms. The article has to be embellishing the distance at 300km. Will run the mileage again and double check the route.

2/02/2016 1:22 pm  #5

You could significantly shorten the shuttle by starting at Kawayamog instead of Kiosk, though there would be more paddling and portaging.  I've done that route in four days with camps at North Tea, Skuce and Merchant lakes.  We had arranged for a water taxi pickup which was very fortunate as Opeongo was incredibly rough the day we came out.

2/02/2016 1:43 pm  #6

Without looking at it closer, that's no more than 100 kms I would guess.  I just laid out my spring trip on Jeff's Map last night and it's only 203 kms from Magnetawan to Cedar/Radiant and back.  Looking at it compared to your route on my iPad it looks like the same as one way.

2/02/2016 8:52 pm  #7

104.5km. A far cry from the claimed 300... looking at this route in admiration. The Brent run may have to wait... kiosk,mink, little mink, caching,  laurel, aura Lee,  cedar, catfish, burntroot,  big trout, Marchant,  happy isle and opeongo.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.