You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/26/2016 7:19 am  #18

Re: Access #2 Tim River to Rosebary Lake

I love that area.  I have a couple of videos and trip reports on my YouTube channel and blog if you haven't already seen them.
The southeast campsite is nice, next to Longbow, and I have seen moose right in the campsite twice while paddling by.  The narrows between Longbow and Rosebary is a great spot to see them.  There's a marshy bay on Longbow where the old trail goes between Rosebary and Longbow, shown on Jeff's map, that is a great spot to see moose, deer, waterfowl, shorebirds, beaver, and possibly a bear or wolf.  There seems to be a lot of wolves in the area based on the amount of scat I've seen on the shoreline and portage trails.  I've heard them howling once.
Watch for leeches at the big beach, they don't bother me but they can be big and aggressive depending on the time of year.
Don't underestimate the time and distance to the Queer Lake portage waterfall, and don't expect to see an actual waterfall-it's just a small rapid.  The river is long and winding and it feels like you're never going to get there.  That being said, I love it and would do it again.
There's a good sized raspberry patch on the portage from Longbow to the lower Tim, which would be fun to raid, but the bears may have the same idea, which would be either cool or unsettling depending on your perspective.🙂  There are lots of logging era relics there and at each of the Longbow campsites to check out.
Floating Heart Lake is a pretty little lake, and a nice short hike to check it out from the shore if you didn't want to carry a canoe over.

http://myselfreliance.com/longbow-lake-solo-canoe-trip-day-1/

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-UbUksm4nPnWXtpJCS2jE2Tnhp7GK93P

1/26/2016 2:45 pm  #19

My Self Reliance wrote:

I love that area.  I have a couple of videos and trip reports on my YouTube channel and blog if you haven't already seen them.
The southeast campsite is nice, next to Longbow, and I have seen moose right in the campsite twice while paddling by.  The narrows between Longbow and Rosebary is a great spot to see them.  There's a marshy bay on Longbow where the old trail goes between Rosebary and Longbow, shown on Jeff's map, that is a great spot to see moose, deer, waterfowl, shorebirds, beaver, and possibly a bear or wolf.  There seems to be a lot of wolves in the area based on the amount of scat I've seen on the shoreline and portage trails.  I've heard them howling once.
Watch for leeches at the big beach, they don't bother me but they can be big and aggressive depending on the time of year.
Don't underestimate the time and distance to the Queer Lake portage waterfall, and don't expect to see an actual waterfall-it's just a small rapid.  The river is long and winding and it feels like you're never going to get there.  That being said, I love it and would do it again.
There's a good sized raspberry patch on the portage from Longbow to the lower Tim, which would be fun to raid, but the bears may have the same idea, which would be either cool or unsettling depending on your perspective.🙂  There are lots of logging era relics there and at each of the Longbow campsites to check out.
Floating Heart Lake is a pretty little lake, and a nice short hike to check it out from the shore if you didn't want to carry a canoe over.

http://myselfreliance.com/longbow-lake-solo-canoe-trip-day-1/

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-UbUksm4nPnWXtpJCS2jE2Tnhp7GK93P

Hey Shawn,

I have watched a couple of your videos actually.  I really enjoy them!

I think the southeast campsite is where my dad wants to stay.  We're open to any site of course.

I had heard/read about the narrows being a hot spot for moose but didn't know about the marshy bay you mentioned, I will be checking that out for sure.  My father will be happy to hear about the wolf activity.  I've been fortunate enough to hear them a few times on trips in the park.  I love the sound of them at night.

I think we probably will check the lower Tim out just so I can expose my dad to as much of the park in a short time as I can.  I'll check that raspberry patch out.  I'm perfectly fine with bears.  I do enjoy them and will say when I do see them on my trips it's a highlight.  Last year we were staying on Grassy Bay, the site closest to white trout and my buddy woke up and heard one near our tent.  I sleep like a rock so I didn't hear it myself.  He was a little nervous but we had taken all the proper precautions (no food left out or in tent and packs and food were hung).  I figure someone at some point had unfortunately left food behind or out and now the bear periodically checks in.  There are well worn game trails all over the back of the site. 

I'll also be sure to try and find those logging relics.  I'm sure my dad would enjoy taking photos of them.  I plan on doing a trip sometime to Catfish lake to check out the old alligator.

Thanks for all your useful information!  I will be sure to put it to good use

1/26/2016 4:18 pm  #20

My brother and I did this trip last year ( 2015 ) in the summer and it was wonderful. Only saw one moose though, and that was along the Tim between the launch and Tim Lake proper but he was a monster and the encounter will last with us in memory for a life time.. My brother and I were fortunate to have been able to scout out all camp sites on Rosebary and for some unknown reason had the lake to our selves for the back half of the trip. the North beachcamp site is everything everyone have said it is but we favored the point / last site headed into Longbow. The majority of this trip was spent on Longbow, having that lake to ourselves as well which was awesome. Did day trips down the Tim  and surrounding vicinity. Didn't have much success fishing but recognize it was in July. . Great area though and we will be making a point of going back there sometime in the future. 

1/26/2016 6:21 pm  #21

Andy,

I couldn't agree with you more in regards to viewing moose in the interior.  It just sticks with you.  I took a buddy on a 5 day trip last year out of access 3.  He had never seen a moose or camped in the interior.  We finished the Little Misty to Queer lake portage and there was a cow and calf feeding in the shallows.  I paddle him over (keeping a mindful distance) for a closer look.  He still talks about it like it happened yesterday. 

Thanks for the info on the campsites.  I never thought to use longbow as a backup lake if Rosebary is full or busy. 

With all the feedback from the different members I'm even more excited to see this area of the park.

1/26/2016 7:14 pm  #22

What I love about this forum is the little tips and tricks hidden in some of the threads.  I'm planning on spending my first night of my spring trip this year on grassy bay, so in going to try for the one you mention just to see the wildlife activity.

1/26/2016 8:51 pm  #23

I like to go into all the new threads and read what people have to say.  So many people are kind enough to share their knowledge on here.

As for the site:
I liked the campsite, we were able to find 2 spots for tents easily.  There was a big rock that the afternoon sun hits and my buddy had a nap there.  It's also located on a point.  I never seen any moose there but it seems like a great place to spot them.  If you follow the path to the Thunder Box there are paths to either side of the point, from them you can see into the bay's.  Hopefully you are luckier than my friends and I and you see some moose there.  We did come across a couple Of otters closer to MacIntosh Creek. 

Another spot you could check out for moose Is near the portage to the Petawawa River.  It's located almost directly across from the campsite and is only about a 10-15 minute paddle.  You have to pass through a channel and then it opens up to a bay that looks like a moose paradise. I have no idea if it actually is a moose paradise or not, perhaps someone else could attest to that.

1/27/2016 12:42 pm  #24

I was able to locate the guy I mentioned that we saw along the Tim river, headed to Tim Lake. Also the site that would be directly in front of you as you go through the narrows across Longbow is a great site that I would recommend as well.

Last edited by Andy W (1/27/2016 12:51 pm)

1/27/2016 1:38 pm  #25

Wow that would be a great sight to see.  Great picture!.

1/27/2016 4:24 pm  #26

I thought the falls at the Queer portage were more than a small rapid.

View from below

View from above

1/27/2016 4:50 pm  #27

Wow I'd say a little bit more than small Rapids! 

My dad is over right now and your pictures have made his mind up as to where we're heading for our day trip.

Thanks for sharing.

1/27/2016 5:00 pm  #28

Treater, when were those photos taken?  Looks like it might have been in the spring.

July, 2007:

http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtopic.php?f=108&t=32094

Barbara

Last edited by Barbara (1/27/2016 5:01 pm)

Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one.

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

1/27/2016 5:16 pm  #29

Right you are Barbara. May 2015.

When are you going Chris? I'm heading to that area myself again this spring.

Last edited by Treater (1/27/2016 5:18 pm)

1/27/2016 6:12 pm  #30

We are heading there in May.  I think the plan is the 13-15.  Is that when you are planning on going?

1/27/2016 7:32 pm  #31

That's weird. Here's what it looked like when I was there in early May.
http://youtu.be/PvT8zXH8ovs

Edit - Never mind, I remember it now.  There's a couple of drops between the top and bottom.

Last edited by My Self Reliance (1/27/2016 7:35 pm)

1/28/2016 4:14 pm  #32

Chris, I'll probably be a week or two earlier depending on ice out.

1/28/2016 4:21 pm  #33

Nice!  You'll have to let me (us) know how your trip goes.

I can't wait to get back up there.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.