You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/24/2015 11:54 am  #1

Kayak Portage Yoke

I watched Lesta's videos about his DIY kayak yoke and they look very nice. Even though I'm a carpenter I keep putting off making my own with all the other things on my honey do list !!!  So I decided to order one of these universal kayak yokes.
http://www.boundarywaterscatalog.com/hidden-river-yoke-shop/universal-kayak-yoke-6722
Has anybody else used one of these?

9/24/2015 5:47 pm  #2

Re: Kayak Portage Yoke

This looks like a real winner here.  I've got something cobbled together for this trip but if it doesnt work out, I just might have to go this route.

9/24/2015 6:23 pm  #3

Sorry lesta I was going off of memory. It wasn't your video It was Bob's or Kayak campers DIY kayak yoke I was refering too.  But with your new kayak you may also be needing one.

Last edited by Russ S (9/24/2015 6:24 pm)

1/04/2016 6:06 pm  #4

I did get the kyak yoke from Hidden river yoke shop.  I used it once to portage my Kayak about 300 yds.  It felt pretty good.  I had all my gear still in the Kayak including fishing gear.  So maybe 60-65lbs total.  Here are a couple pics of the yoke.

1/15/2016 6:38 pm  #5

<----- Bob, aka Kayak Camper on Youtube. 

I've been kayak camping for many years, and honestly feel like I have it down to a science at this point. I haven't built a new yoke in about a year now because I can't find any significant enough flaws with my latest version to justify it. 

I've never tried to market or sell my design, but (in my entirely unbiased opinion it's better than what you just paid for. If you find that isn't working out for you let me know - I'll build you one for the material costs. 

1/16/2016 5:51 am  #6

Bob
I did watch your Diy videos and your yoke styles look very nice and simple.  I wanted to try a yoke on the kayak 1st to see how it worked and felt plus I wanted one that I could move between two of my Kayaks.  But If I find I do not like this yoke design I will use your style. 

Last edited by Russ S (1/16/2016 5:54 am)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.