You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/09/2016 10:47 pm  #18

Re: solo canoe?

With 3 kids that are slowly getting in to it and a trip in the books for this coming may, I may end up with another tandem like a prospector  or algonquin. Something with fixed stern and bow seats for dual purpose. The thought of a kneeling thwart has my knees on ice just thinking about it. I have been trying to talk a friend out of his 15 ft 8 kev mattawa. Another option if he ever decides to let me have it.

1/10/2016 7:54 am  #19

I've considered going to a15' tandem to have a permanent yoke and the only thing that has held me back (other than trying to find one used and money) is the question of packing. When I've looked at 15' I'm concerned that if I added a kneeling thwart that I would need to pull out a tandem seat to fit my dog and gear - but that may be a uniquely me issue.

1/11/2016 11:09 am  #20

SCORE!Although i can't talk him to selling it to me a buddy needs a place to store his Mattawa. At 15'8"its still a decent size tandem that will double nicely as a solo. Was hoping to avoid a kneeling thwart but I can't complain about the price. Free storage =free use . Perfect for now.

1/11/2016 11:23 am  #21

I have a Mattawa Shayne. Enjoy.. Could never see myself needing anything larger for a tandem. Will safely take around 500lbs. Wife and I are about 310 plus our dog @ 25-30. Even if we add 100 lbs of gear for a longer trip we are only at 440. And that would be a lot for us. Only minor issue at that point would be space in the boat not weight. But have done this amount and its no problem. All our gear fits in 2 bags.Larger one behind bow seat and smaller one in front of stern with the dog. Who isn't that big..
Don't solo it anymore unless I'm just heading out from camp by myself to do some fishing etc .When I do I use a center seat and longer double blade. Moves along nicely..

Last edited by ShawnD (1/11/2016 11:24 am)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.