You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/17/2015 9:05 am  #1

Airfield

I picked this tip up from another thread. Mew Lake front country camping in winter is attractive because of the comfort station and possibly the availability of electricity (electric heater in tent, used occasionally). Someone mentioned camping "back country" near the airfield. Sounds like we could be back country camping at a smaller cost but still have car & comfort station within a 15 minute walk? I'd give up the electricity to get a more scenic setting and save some money. Heck, bring electric heater and if night #1 does not work out could do night #2 at campground.

To do this do you park at Mew Lake or Highland Backpacking trail? With winter camping rules in place it is my understanding that we can camp anywhere except  actual designated spots. We could pulk in some local woodlot wood but also would have the ability to cut downed wood, and even standing deadwood I believe. A few stones for a fire ring and campfire would be permitted?

Hang a bear bag to discourage critters of all size or use a bear keg.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated - looking at week between Christmas and New Years. I expect snow and tempts down to -20C

12/17/2015 9:27 am  #2

Re: Airfield

Amazing as it may seem, the 14 day Weather Network forecast is for both daytime and nighttime temperatures to stay above zero right through to December 31.   If this actually happens, you'd be able to do a canoe trip over the Christmas holidays.

Assuming there is no snow on the ground, the park should permit use of marked campsites.   The weather situation this year is really quite unprecedented and the rules should be amended to reflect that reality until we do start receiving winter like weather.

12/17/2015 9:46 am  #3

There was some talk about winter rules or summer rules. I called the park this morning  (12/17/15) and they confirm:

No snow on ground
Winter rules are in effect

In another thread someone mentioned that summer sites need a break from use regardless of snow on ground. I think I may actually prefer that, would permit me to get closer to Mew lake comfort station than otherwise possible.

I did canoe once elsewhere in Nov in snow. It was a surreal experience. 

12/18/2015 6:14 pm  #4

I just got back from 7 days in the back country in Algonquin and can confirm the back country rules are in effect.  Having said that when I left this morning there was no snow on the ground.  For the air field you could drive right to the parking lot for the bike access which puts you right at the edge of the air field.  It would be up to you how far in you would want to travel but you could go close to the lot (as long as you are 30m from the trail) and set up, and still be no more than a 5 minute walk to the comfort stations.  I like your idea of a back up plan in the event you end up moving to Mew Lake though...always good to have a back up plan!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.