You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/25/2015 5:38 pm  #18

Re: Questions for planning a spring fishing trip

Crossed posts again .  I'm planning my spring trip already as well, so lots of reading to do over the next five months.

11/25/2015 5:43 pm  #19

Gordielocks wrote:

I'm thinking of doing a loop this spring. Enter at Tim, go to big bob, take the Nip to loontail, then down to Rosebary then back to Tim and out.

I was doing that exact loop when I took the alder picture above. If MartinG is right that the alders aren't a problem in the spring (my trip was early August), it could be a nice trip. In my case it was a 2 night trip, with the first night on Big Bob and the second on Rosebary. The second day (Big Bob to Rosebary) was the longest travel day I've ever done... which we blamed mostly on the alders, but looking at Jeff's map now the estimated travel time isn't that much less than what we took. That map didn't exist back then and we had to just estimate the distance by looking at a normal map, which is impossible since the Nip is so bendy. MartinG's assessment of the Loontail-Floating Heart portage may well be correct but all I remember is how happy we were to see it after such a long day of creek travel. So yeah I'd recommend breaking up that stretch with a night on one of the river campsites, though they're generally not as nice as the lake ones.

We weren't fishing on that trip so I can't comment on that first hand, I gather there are brookie holes along the rivers and Rosebary lake trout are better for size than numbers. We did see a good amount of wildlife and the area is generally pretty and not too crowded. Rosebary Lake has a bit of a fan base, the two sites on the north shore have a beach between them and would tend to be the first to go. The southeastern site might be the next best. Alternatively, camping on Longbow instead of Rosebary might make for slightly more seclusion.

11/26/2015 6:35 am  #20

I have to echo Shawns comment about not speaking of fishing spots. To my mind the upper half of the Nip is quintessential Algonquin. It offers the best of the park. Fishing, wildlife, a feeling of going back in time. You should do well with the fish. If not, it was not to be. Dont worry about where they are and don't talk about where you found them.

Other thing to mention. If you want the site that looks like it is connected to Hiah lake it is booked as Loontail Junction. If you book Hiah lake you are actually reserving a site at High Dam. Seems confusing to me.

11/26/2015 11:22 am  #21

The creek up to Indian pipe is no passable but the portage is not a bad one.  Indian pipe is a nice little lake

11/26/2015 11:36 am  #22

Thanks for the tips everyone, lots of great advice.

Just in response to MartinG - Of course I don't expect anyone to give way their favourite fishing spots, and to be honest, fishing is a secondary aspect of a trip for me. Mostly what I was looking for was advice on sites, routes and portages and to see if anyone had some favorite spring routes. Just to reiterate, I'm not planning on over fishing or stealing anyone's favourtie spot! Sorry if the topic of the post was misleading.

11/26/2015 7:28 pm  #23

Gordielocks wrote:

Thanks for the tips everyone, lots of great advice.

Just in response to MartinG - Of course I don't expect anyone to give way their favourite fishing spots, and to be honest, fishing is a secondary aspect of a trip for me. Mostly what I was looking for was advice on sites, routes and portages and to see if anyone had some favorite spring routes. Just to reiterate, I'm not planning on over fishing or stealing anyone's favourtie spot! Sorry if the topic of the post was misleading.

Not at all - your request was reasonable and responsible.  I think both Martin and I were directing our comments at whomever was, or will be, following this post.  Public forums are so educational but it's impossible to control the exploitation of valuable information in the wrong hands.

11/26/2015 11:51 pm  #24

Absolutely, couldn't agree more. Just wanted to clarify my intentions. All great advice all round.

Now I just have 5ish months to flip flop between trip ideas! Frankly I haven't done much river tripping and have never spent a night on a river. I'd like to give it a try for at least a night. I hate that my trips are generally restricted to 3 nights! Maybe I'll try to get a 4 or 5 night trip in this spring.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.