You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/22/2015 9:35 am  #18

Re: Heading Up in December - Location Suggestions?

how bout off of the source lake road,,, i sent ya a in box with other ideas for  spots

11/23/2015 11:42 am  #19

Thanks guys.  I can't recall but are the roads (i.e. Source Lake Rd and the Road leading out of the Mizzy Lake parking lot) plowed out in the winter?  I can't recall if they are, but I'm assuming they would not be plowed. 

11/23/2015 11:48 am  #20

That's what I meant about waiting to see, since it's not the same every winter. Generally speaking, access roads leading off highway 60 are not plowed in the winter except for the Opeongo Road and not always the whole way up. However, depending on logging activity and other factors, some others may be plowed.

Of course roads that are not plowed could be good for you to drag your sled along. And the Arowhon Road (the one out of the Mizzy Lake Trail parking lot) would have parking available.

11/23/2015 11:51 am  #21

That makes sense, thanks DanPM.    I'm going to spend a couple days on this trip exploring and plotting out decent spots for future trips.

11/23/2015 2:30 pm  #22

as i understand it,,, logging activity and no access to sunday lake from the parking lot again this year. i think the pines trail access is closed too????

11/24/2015 7:08 am  #23

Last December my son and I used the western uplands

We hiked in about 15 minutes and found a good spot for the hot tent off the trail

Lots of dead wood 
The river is close for water ( we were the end of December so there was lots of snow to melt )

I find the day trails are good for winter - plowed lots , trail already broken , I just hike up a ways - then leave the trail - hike over a ridge or far enough away and make camp

12/15/2015 12:55 pm  #24

=17pxThe airfield has been a great spot in the past as it fits the above criteria (also having access to a comfort station is a plus).

I never thought of that. "Back Country" camping with comfort station close by. My daughter will backpack and has no problems living in the outdoors but if you can get all that and have a comfort station within a 10 minute stroll... Wow! Thanks!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.