You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/20/2015 3:11 pm  #1

Sliding Mattress in my Hennessy Hammock

Does anyone know how to prevent a Thermarest mattress from sliding all over the place in a hammock?

11/20/2015 3:58 pm  #2

Re: Sliding Mattress in my Hennessy Hammock

First off don't inflate it all the way! Most say that about half way is good. It's not like you're using it for padding, just warmth so you don't need it inflated all the way.

The other trick some people have done is the same as for keeping them in place on the tent floor - put small dots of McNet seam sealer on either the pad or the hammock.

But mostly, there's no good way to keep a pad in place in a single layer hammock like the HH.

You could go do some research over at hammockforums.net but the sliding mattress in a hammock is why the majority use underquilts instead of an inflated pad.

11/20/2015 4:22 pm  #3

Not sure how helpful this will be if you aren't looking to buy a new bag but I own 2 sleeping bags that prevent this from happening.

First is a Big Agnes bag . BA bags have a mattress pad sleeve  which holds the pad. So impossible for the pad to slide away.

The other bag I have is actually a quilt from  Enlightened Equipment. It comes with 2 straps which connect the quilt to the pad. Again prevents your pad from sliding out from underneath you.

Plus I don't over inflate like Beth already stated.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

11/20/2015 4:43 pm  #4

Use a bigger mattress. I use a 25 x 77 Thermarest Prolite. I never have any issues sliding off.  I have a double layer hammock which I initially bought to slide the pad in to. But, I find that fiddly and unnecessary. I just sleep directly on the pad with a quilt over me.

In colder weather I have a Thermarest sleeping bag which attaches to the Thermarest pad kind like ShawnD describes. Winter camping I have added an additional reflective pad to this setup which slides in between the layers for added insulation.

11/20/2015 6:36 pm  #5

I used to have a HH but sold it due to claustrophobia. I used an underquilt and left the thermarest at home.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.