You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/19/2015 11:37 am  #1

Harvesting Dead Wood in Winter?

Can anyone please clarify the rules as they pertain to the harvesting of dead wood in the winter in the back country?  Are the rules the same as they are for the summer (I'm assuming they are)?   Is it ok to cut down a tree that is completely dead?  What about the harvesting of dead branches from a living tree?  I know there are ethical issues here as well, however I'm just looking on clarification on the actual rules and regulations.

Thanks!

11/19/2015 4:01 pm  #2

Re: Harvesting Dead Wood in Winter?

From the Algonquin website:
http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/visit/general_park_info/winter-in-algonquin-park.php

Winter backcountry camping is not permitted on designated summer campsites, marked on the Canoe Routes Map or Backpacking Trails Map, or within 30 metres of a lakeshore, trail, or portage. We recommend that you camp in low sheltered areas where there is a good supply of standing dead firewood for warmth and cooking.

The pdf "Winter Visitor Guide" say:

We recommend that you camp in low, sheltered areas where there is a good supply of standing dead firewood for warmth and cooking.

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/pdf/winter_guide_algonquin_park.pdf

I would suggest emailing the Park and asking.  I like that better than a phone call, because a reply would be in writing.

Barbara

Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one.

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

11/19/2015 4:18 pm  #3

Good idea Barbara.  I have emailed them and will copy and paste their reply here for anyone who is interested.

11/19/2015 4:22 pm  #4

You can also use a chainsaw to cut said standing dead wood 

11/19/2015 4:23 pm  #5

In the Park?  Really?  Wow I had no idea

11/19/2015 4:27 pm  #6

When compiling the Algonquin Backcountry LNT booklet, the commentary was developed that  "Under no circumstances should any live vegetation, or dead branches from live trees, be used for firewood. Ideally the gathering of firewood should be limited to fallen branches and twigs from the forest floor." That was based on the regulated prohibition against the cutting of any live growth .. along with the sensibilities of not damaging living trees by possibly encouraging disease to spread into 'good wood' and not degrading the natural visual environment around established campsites.

While leaving standing dead wood to serve as part of the natural habitat of insects and birds is particularly commendable around established campsites, it appears that the park recognizes that 'ground litter firewood' will be inaccessibly covered by snow during the winter. Accordingly, the park allows the cutting of standing deadwood during the winter. This shouldn't negatively impact established campsites because winter camping is not allowed at established campsites.

Reg. 347/07, s. 21 (2).
From April 1 to Thanksgiving, no person shall possess a chain saw, power saw, power ice auger, gasoline generator or similar device in an area operated for interior camping in Algonquin Provincial Park.

http://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/070347

11/19/2015 4:36 pm  #7

Thanks for the info guys, you never cease to amaze me!

So this leads to my follow up question...What is your saw of choice for back country winter tripping?  I have only ever used a collapsible saw.  It works ok but the blades are flimsy and torque very easily.   I'd be interested in hearing what others use.

11/19/2015 4:55 pm  #8

24" bow saw from any hardware store. One with easily available standard size replacement blades. That said GfromKitch has a Dustrude saw that is pretty awesome.

11/20/2015 9:04 am  #9

Trailblazer saw! Had 3 over the past 18 years. Compact and absolutely rip thru tru the wood. Kinda of scarce I think though. I bought my last one at MEC about 4 years ago. Along with a few extra blades just in case. 

I'm just gone Fishin!

11/20/2015 11:13 am  #10

Splakin wrote:

Trailblazer saw! Had 3 over the past 18 years. Compact and absolutely rip thru tru the wood. Kinda of scarce I think though. I bought my last one at MEC about 4 years ago. Along with a few extra blades just in case. 

Funny you should mention the Trailblazer. I recently came across a review for the Sawvivor that caught my attention as I have one that I found in the woods a number of years ago. I didn't know anything about it and had never used it - I'm more of a gather only what you can carry and feed the big stuff into the fire kind of guy. Anyway, the reviews were so positive I dug out the saw from the garage, cleaned all the rust off the blade and took it with me a few weeks ago when I went out to Little Island Lake. 

I agree with Splakin that it works very well. I was surprised how fast it went through the wood with very little effort. Mine is the smaller size and is very packable: 

Weight: 9.5 oz.  
Blade length: 15 in.  
Strong anodized aluminum frame with stainless-steel parts  
Folds down to 3 x 15 inches  Adjustable tension system  
Foam-cushioned handle 

The manufacturer apparently went out of business a couple of years ago so, indeed, it is now hard to find as are replacement blades. I did find one website that seems to still have it and the replacement blades for sale. Little pricey, perhaps, with the exchange and shipping but it seems to be the only remaining source. If anyone knows of anywhere else, please share. It's a great piece of gear.

http://survivalschool.com/store/saws/folding-saws

Dave

11/20/2015 11:26 am  #11

Bob Dustrude saw

http://fourdog.com/bobs-quick-buck-saw-30/

three sizes. Replacement blades available. Ships to Canada

11/24/2015 10:38 am  #12

I received an official reply from the park today in regards to the harvesting of standing deadwood;

"=12ptIt is not against any regulation to cut dead standing trees for firewood in Algonquin Provincial Park. However, although standing wood is a more practical and efficient choice during the winter months, it is also valuable to cavity nesting birds. During the selection process, I would just encourage park visitors to be considerate of any evidence that birds that may be using the tree, i.e. nest cavities. "

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.