You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/15/2019 8:22 am  #1

Biggar, Maple or Three Mile

My spring trip is a loop through the northwest part of the park. The last couple of days are taking me through Biggar, Three Mile, Maple and back up to Kiosk. At this point, I'm booked to stay on Biggar the second last night and Maple the last night. However, watching Uppa's series on his trip through the same area last year has me very much wanting to stay on Three Mile as well. Of those three lakes, which two would people recommend? I don't mind making my last day a long one and heading in from Three Mile if need be.(I'm assuming here that I'll be able to get the sites on each lake that I want).

I guess what I'm asking is, are there any really awesome sites on Maple that make skipping either of Biggar or Three Mile worthwhile?

Thanks,

Drew

Last edited by AlgonquinLakes (3/15/2019 8:23 am)

3/15/2019 9:23 am  #2

Re: Biggar, Maple or Three Mile

If you haven't come across my trip report, there's a decent bit of info about Three Mile and Maple: http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtopic.php?f=108&t=44357&start=0

My opinion, which is slightly biased because I really like island sites, but the two southern islands on Maple would be my first choice. The site just northwest of the big island in the south half of Three Mile looked like the nicest site from the ones that we passed. The southernmost site on the big island is where we camped and I really enjoyed the site a lot, but I've heard there was some fire damage in recent years so can't comment on its current status. Don't spend the time paddling to the small island on Three Mile... we did and it wasn't worth it, small and eerie.

Basically....

1. Maple - southernmost island
2. Maple - second southernmost island
3/4. Three Mile - southernmost island tied with site just northwest of the island

edit: the small northern island on Maple looked nice as well from the water as we passed by, but it doesn't offer the same elevation/views that the southern islands have.

Last edited by trippythings (3/15/2019 9:26 am)

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

3/15/2019 9:33 am  #3

There are 3 island sites (see PCI Project) that I would consider to be in the 3 to 4 star range. I say this because, 2 of the 3 sites don't offer much protection from the elements, while the 3rd site is well protected with little lake exposure.

There are some very nice sites on some of the smaller lakes that you will be travelling thru...just a thought.  

3/15/2019 11:21 am  #4

As has already been said, both of the southern island sites on Maple are very nice (I stayed on the northernmost of the two a couple years ago - there's a trip video that shows it). 

I'd skip Biggar and spend a night on Three Mile and on Maple. Biggar's the ... ahem... bigger gamble as every other campsite (aside from the one I stayed on) looked like the kind of dark hole you just want to keep paddling past. The west half of Biggar, at least, had no sites with any redeeming qualities*

* Based on paddling past them, some at a distance. Maybe they're all secretly awesome and just hide it well. 

3/15/2019 1:21 pm  #5

Haven't been to Three Mile, but out of Biggar and Maple I'd say Erables wins hands down.

3/15/2019 1:41 pm  #6

The "dark hole" comment reminded me of the trend in the Adirondacks of moving more campsites deeper into the woods to reduce shoreline impact as well as maintaining a more natural appearance to the shorelines when viewed from the water.  A big detriment for us in the enjoyment we get from sitting and looking out over the water...hope Algonquin doesn't begin to follow suit.

3/15/2019 4:05 pm  #7

EddyTurn wrote:

Haven't been to Three Mile, but out of Biggar and Maple I'd say Erables wins hands down.

The site in the NE of Erables on the point is one of my favorites. Nice view and nice chunk of rock.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.