You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/01/2019 3:08 pm  #1

Achray advice

I am looking to book Achray in summer .. I'm seeing lots of nice sites along the shore and beach ... if anyone has advice on certain sites that they have stayed at which were particularly special please let me know ...

Message me if you want to keep it on the down low ...

thanks

Last edited by Dead_Weight (DW) (2/01/2019 3:12 pm)

2/01/2019 6:08 pm  #2

Re: Achray advice

I’ve put in at Achray but never camped there. My impression is that I really, really liked the whole camping area - it felt pretty low key and a place I’d love to take the family if it weren’t a 6 hour drive. I doubt you’ll go wrong with any site there, but I have no specific recommendations. Mostly just bumping your thread back above mine ;)

2/02/2019 7:17 am  #3

Are you staying on the campground or paddling to one of the sites?

2/04/2019 12:25 pm  #4

I'm staying at the campground ...

2/04/2019 12:28 pm  #5

I reposted in another section for campgrounds ... forgot this is mainly for backcountry questions ...

2/07/2019 9:42 am  #6

The yurt is also one of the nicest in the park as well (if you're into "yurting").  The site is very secluded at the end of a long road (railbed).  I found the sites in Achray to be a little lacking in privacy in comparison to some car camping sites in say Pog, or Cannisbay, but the whole area is really beautiful and there's tons of spots to explore...

2/07/2019 1:33 pm  #7

I would echo 34 and 1 as good sites.  These days we travel with a pup so limited to the right hand side of the map that Steve posted.  If you'd like to avoid dogs barking you might want to look at the dog free zone. All the sites from 4-12 are kind of in a bowl so if you get noise at one site it carries pretty clearly.  If you're dog free we've looked at but not stayed on 18 and 20.  Sites 42-45 and maybe 16 and 17 the water in that bay is weedy so if you have kids maybe not best for swimming from the campsite.  Otherwise you can get herons set up in there and you can watch them fish for an hour.
#1 would be our go-to site.  2 and 3 also work but as noted, not much privacy.  Also, if you get a strong wind it tends to funnel down Grand and really blasts these sites.  They are picturesque, right on the beach, but also very exposed.  Pack an extra tarp and if things get bad you can always set up a wind break.

2/07/2019 2:02 pm  #8

Thanks everyone ... I like the looks of all the ones recommended.  its a tough call since my kids like trying to catch the critters in the lake but also like swimming a lot,  34, 1, 18, 20 ... and even the yurt look pretty nice ...

2/08/2019 10:18 am  #9

What about Pog Lake .. .I just got invited there in July and I have never stayed there.  The other group is in the radio and dog free area but I see a lot of beautiful sites open right on the lake in other areas ... any recommendations ? 

2/08/2019 11:44 am  #10

From what I recall the sites along the loops on the river in C are really nice.  Stayed there a few years back and there are some very nice and private sites in Pog

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.