You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/22/2019 9:46 pm  #1

Waterproof Hiking Shoes vs. alternatives?

So to complement the last thread I made about rain jackets, I'm now in the market for a new pair of shoes. Ideally, I want something that's good for mountain hiking, while also good for canoe tripping (ie. quick dry). It seems like these two are mutually exclusive. All amphibious/draining shoes don't look appropriate for real hiking, and most hiking shoes are waterproof, but that obviously won't hold if your feet are fully submerged.

One thing I'm struggling to find an accurate answer for, is, if I get the inside of waterproof hiking boots wet... will they take forever to dry? Is it substantially longer than a regular pair of running shoes, or basically the same?

I purchased the Merrell Moab FST Mid Waterproof shoes which look great for hiking and portaging, but are they completely impractical for canoe tripping if I get the inside wet while carrying over a beaver dam?

At the other end of the spectrum are shoes like this andthis, which seem great for wet conditions, but look like a rolled ankle waiting to happen on hikes/portages.

Am I searching for something that doesn't exist?

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

1/23/2019 8:04 am  #2

Re: Waterproof Hiking Shoes vs. alternatives?

From my experience, I would avoid waterproof. I have a pair of goretex lined boots that stayed waterproof for about 5 days, and now leak very quickly. Once they get wet on the inside they essentially do not dry. If a boot isn’t lined with waterproof material (goretex or eVent, etc), then it just has a waterproof coating, and therefore will be waterproof for about the first 5 minutes of its life. On the plus side, it will probably dry faster than a lined boot.

I have a pair of Merrell Moab’s (lower cut), and they were rain resistant for a few weeks. You couldn’t step in water with them though- which you can with goretex lined footwear (until it leaks). They are holding up about as well as any Merrell shoes I’ve owned, which is not very well at all.

If I were shopping for hiking boots again I would buy what seemed like the quickest drying boot that offered good support. I would also continue to do as I’ve had to do with my goretex boots- change my footwear if I’m going to be stepping in water.

1/23/2019 8:52 am  #3

I always liked Merrell. Those boots look nice and the price is right considering amazon.ca has them going for significantly more (!?!)

https://www.amazon.ca/Merrell-Mens-WATERPROOF-Hiking-Shoes/dp/B01M65PB93

But any waterproofing will mean looong drying time. I suggest wait until Canadian Tire has their next sale on footwear - they seem to do so fairly regularly - and pick up a pair of Outbound hikers or something similar. They are sufficient for portaging and around camp. That's what I did so I can leave my good boots at home.

Dave

1/23/2019 9:48 am  #4

If you really mean mountain hiking, then you want real boots with ankle support. There was a good thread started by ATVenture last year that discussed the difference between ankle support and ankle protection. 

Last edited by RobW (1/23/2019 3:28 pm)

1/23/2019 10:54 am  #5

You can sometimes find versions of your favourite hiking boot WITHOUT the gortex lining. That's what I would recommend. 

Waterproof boots DO take forever to dry after they have been submerged which is a huge pain on canoe trips. I've had to put my boots on when soggy so often while my husband (who's boots aren't waterproof) is in dry heaven. 

He looked high and low for a good, supportive hiking boot that did not have a waterproof lining. They were hard to find but they do exist.

1/23/2019 12:53 pm  #6

Thanks for the info everyone! It seems like these Merrell's will be good for actual hiking but if I'm worried about getting wet feet on canoe trips I should buy a second (different) pair.

I also bought these Salomon shoes which seem to be great for wet conditions but I'm not sold on the comfort/support for portaging.

What's everyones thoughts on socks to wear? If I do wear the Merrell's and if they do get wet, will wearing proper socks help the cause?

nvm wrote:

From my experience, I would avoid waterproof. ...

Thanks for the advice!

Algonquintripper wrote:

I always liked Merrell. Those boots look nice and the price is right considering amazon.ca has them going for significantly more (!?!)

That Amazon price is definitely inflated, but I think regular price is around $200... these were on sale almost 75% off so figured I'd snag them while I could and then I still have 60 days to decide/return

RobW wrote:

If you really mean mountain hiking, then you want real boots with ankle support. There was a good thread started by Andrew Turcotte last year that discussed the difference between ankle support and ankle protection. 

This is one of the hikes I have planned for late March: http://walkmeguide.com/en/madeira/trail/15/vereda-do-areeiro-pico-ruivo-pr1/ (you can Google for more pictures)... I assume this counts as 'real mountain hiking' but it's my first time doing something to this extent (ie. more than Silver Peaks in Killarney)

I tried searching but can't find the thread you mentioned... any chance you can link it for me?

CanoeClaire wrote:

You can sometimes find versions of your favourite hiking boot WITHOUT the gortex lining. That's what I would recommend. 

The Merrell's are M Select Dry, which from what I've read means they are a bit less waterproof than Gore-Tex... which I guess also means a little bit quicker to dry if they get wet lol

algonquinbeyond.com

1/23/2019 12:59 pm  #7

I always wear good wool socks. Even in the hottest summer months, light-weight wool is the way to go. They wick moisture, dry quickly, and importantly, don't smell even after days of wear

1/23/2019 3:28 pm  #8

trippythings wrote:

RobW wrote:

If you really mean mountain hiking, then you want real boots with ankle support. There was a good thread started by Andrew Turcotte last year that discussed the difference between ankle support and ankle protection. 

This is one of the hikes I have planned for late March: http://walkmeguide.com/en/madeira/trail/15/vereda-do-areeiro-pico-ruivo-pr1/ (you can Google for more pictures)... I assume this counts as 'real mountain hiking' but it's my first time doing something to this extent (ie. more than Silver Peaks in Killarney)

I tried searching but can't find the thread you mentioned... any chance you can link it for me?

It's all real hiking, but that looks like a pretty well "built" trail where shoes would be fine. No obvious rock hopping going on. From an ankle point of view, the Silver Peak hike would be more strenuous and I normally do that in shoes. 

Here is the thread I was referring to: http://algonquinadventures.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=1319

1/23/2019 3:59 pm  #9

CanoeClaire wrote:

I always wear good wool socks. Even in the hottest summer months, light-weight wool is the way to go. They wick moisture, dry quickly, and importantly, don't smell even after days of wear

Thanks!

RobW wrote:

It's all real hiking, but that looks like a pretty well "built" trail where shoes would be fine. No obvious rock hopping going on. From an ankle point of view, the Silver Peak hike would be more strenuous and I normally do that in shoes. 

Here is the thread I was referring to: http://algonquinadventures.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=1319

The thing I'm considering is that it's a long hike along mountain cliff sides... rock/mudslides can be common and the trail might not be in the best condition. I know a section of the trail (1 of the 2 routes) is currently closed because of poor condition.  If I'm crossing something like [url=https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0xc605deec498fbe9%3A0xbcbab000cafb49f4!2m22!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!16m16!1b1!2m2!1m1!1e1!2m2!1m1!1e3!2m2!1m1!1e5!2m2!1m1!1e4!2m2!1m1!1e6!3m1!7e115!4shttps%3A%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipO3n3btGQULGt-UE-kN6Cx7vkZrk_Bb79iIqIfv%3Dw426-h320-k-no!5spr1%20vereda%20do%20areeiro%20-%20Google%20Search&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipOBrr7kG9iUQ17H99l-GkDobKshqXm35IJcfpdx&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj_18DA4YTgAhWQoIMKHcN1Ai0QoiowEnoECAYQBg]this[/url] or [url=https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0xc605d8261e90df9%3A0x7b33d6bc46802665!2m22!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!16m16!1b1!2m2!1m1!1e1!2m2!1m1!1e3!2m2!1m1!1e5!2m2!1m1!1e4!2m2!1m1!1e6!3m1!7e115!4shttps%3A%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipMbYaURCo3mT-yfC9hua4eoUFhtJ_FROjd0z14%3Dw426-h320-k-no!5spr1%20pico%20do%20ruivo%20-%20Google%20Search&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipPKtWjHqXLuvTQxWRZuxUI1f-0iBty_gN_ni3j0&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjwjOyy4oTgAhWBnoMKHUC4Co0QoiowEXoECAUQBg]this[/url], I want to be able to trust my step versus the alternative.

I'm assuming most of the pictures on google are near the 2 main lookout points where the trails would be better built... you can drive relatively close to the 2 main lookouts, but there's a several hour hike that connects the two. I plan on doing that hike so I want to make sure I'm prepared for whatever's in that middle few hours. It also looks like substantially more elevation gain uphill and downhill than Silver Peaks, but that's another story. I've done Silver Peaks a few times in Asics so I should be fine with the Merrells if I decide to keep them.

And thanks, I actually followed that thread when it was created... didn't realize that's what you were referring too. I only know Andrew by Andrew or Drew, didn't know his last name lol

edit: I decided to buy a pair of hiking shoes that would be better than my Asics to use for these hikes, and figured I might as well use them for canoe tripping as well.. but that's where the two variables i) quick dry and ii) good grip/ankle support seem to be hard to find together. Soo I created this thread to see if it's possible to kill two birds with one stone or if I need to go out and buy a second stone

Last edited by trippythings (1/23/2019 4:03 pm)

algonquinbeyond.com

1/23/2019 4:15 pm  #10

For canoe tripping I use Keens in the summer and rubber boots in the spring. There are some places where I know there will be rugged portages where I will take boots and change for the portage but those are pretty rare. 

1/23/2019 4:17 pm  #11

RobW wrote:

For canoe tripping I use Keens in the summer and rubber boots in the spring. There are some places where I know there will be rugged portages where I will take boots and change for the portage but those are pretty rare. 

Thanks, it looks like my best option might be to invest in more than one pair

algonquinbeyond.com

1/23/2019 9:05 pm  #12

CanoeClaire wrote:

+1
Merino wool hiking socks are pretty much all I wear now, even in the city. I find them warmer in winter and cooler in the summer. For backpacking trips I also take along a pair of liner socks. I don't always use them but they're good to have especially on long, high mileage trips.

A great place if you are in Toronto is:

The Great Canadian Sox Shop - Factory Outlet
25 Waterman Ave, East York

I usually get these. 3 pair for $15.00

https://www.greatsox.com/product-page/super-wool-hiker-gx-low-cut-1-4-hiking-socks-3pk

Dave

1/23/2019 9:23 pm  #13

Algonquintripper wrote:

CanoeClaire wrote:

+1
Merino wool hiking socks are pretty much all I wear now, even in the city. I find them warmer in winter and cooler in the summer. For backpacking trips I also take along a pair of liner socks. I don't always use them but they're good to have especially on long, high mileage trips.

A great place if you are in Toronto is:

I usually get these. 3 pair for $15.00

https://www.greatsox.com/product-page/super-wool-hiker-gx-low-cut-1-4-hiking-socks-3pk

Thanks for the tip, they have a few different locations that I can get to pretty easily. The link says $35 though, I'm guessing the $15 you mentioned was a typo?

algonquinbeyond.com

1/23/2019 10:43 pm  #14

Dave

1/26/2019 8:07 am  #15

I love my Wright Coolmesh socks for both running and backpacking and I never get blisters. They're a little expensive, but I consider it a small cost to having comfortable feet at the end of long trekking days!

https://ca.shop.runningroom.com/men/socks-1/wrightsock-unisex-coolmesh-ii-crew-socks.html
https://ca.shop.runningroom.com/men/socks-1/wrightsock-running-ii-lo.html

Last edited by hiker72 (1/26/2019 8:11 am)

2/01/2019 10:58 am  #16

You may think I'm crazy but here it goes.  I've got a trip planned for WCPP this year and was struggling with what to do with my feet on those cold/wet days on non-groomed portages and water entries to the canoe.  I settled on a pair of amphibious shoes that will drain/dry quickly along with a pair of knee high Sealskinz socks.  The socks are 100% waterproof as long as the water stays below my knees and they are extremely warm and comfortable with a merino wool inner layer.  I plan to try this out this spring in APP.

2/01/2019 12:03 pm  #17

CedarHillX wrote:

You may think I'm crazy but here it goes.  I've got a trip planned for WCPP this year and was struggling with what to do with my feet on those cold/wet days on non-groomed portages and water entries to the canoe.  I settled on a pair of amphibious shoes that will drain/dry quickly along with a pair of knee high Sealskinz socks.  The socks are 100% waterproof as long as the water stays below my knees and they are extremely warm and comfortable with a merino wool inner layer.  I plan to try this out this spring in APP.

The more I consider my options, the more it seems like my best bet is to get two pairs of shoes. The first will be the waterproof mid-cut Merrell's, to use for actual hiking and some canoe tripping. And then a pair of amphibious/water shoes for the rest of my canoe tripping. Which shoes I bring would be depending on the trip, how likely I am to get my feet wet, the portages, etc.

These are the ones I got, they're not the highest level of comfort, but when I hold the shoe up I can basically see through it to the other side (ie. the mesh is very breathable), so I figure they should dry very quickly. I'll take a look into those socks you mentioned maybe they would pair well together with these Salomon's if I end up keeping them.

Which pair of shoes did you get?

algonquinbeyond.com

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.