You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/28/2018 10:15 pm  #1

GPX file of westernuplands backpacking trail

Hello anyone know where I can find a gpx route for the western uplands trail? I've done it a bunch of times and it would be nice to have a route to include waypoints just to show how far away the next lake is etc. I suppose I could create one myself but my next trip won't be the whole trail.

Thanks.

8/29/2018 6:27 am  #2

Re: GPX file of westernuplands backpacking trail

Just use the Avenza Maps with Jeff's map loaded into it on your smartphone. You can use your phones GPS (no service required) to overly your exact location in real-time over jeff's map. i use it all the time to find portages an campsites while on canoe trips.

8/29/2018 6:29 am  #3

Thanks but more interested in a real GPX file than an overlay. Sounds like a real pain to set up. Are you talking about his downloadable map or another version?

8/29/2018 6:50 am  #4

Its an app on your phone that has his map already pre-loaded into it, you just have to select in the app to download it and away you go. After downloading the 1GB map file through the app its as simple as opening it and pressing the location buttin and you get your exact location and heading right over the map and its updated in real-time to within a couple feet as long as you have a view of the sky. Like I said no service required.

I work at an outfitter and when I tell people about it it takes them less time to 100% set it up and have it ready to go then it does to do the paperwork and size paddles.

Last edited by ATVenture (8/29/2018 6:50 am)

8/29/2018 6:53 am  #5

Ah passed judgment to soon! Sounds interesting. Problem is I have a cheap phone with only 500 mb left of (edit: storage) Would have to cull some apps. I'll check it out.

Last edited by human (9/02/2018 5:00 pm)

8/31/2018 7:45 pm  #6

Assuming you have a map and know where you are why not just use a map and a piece of string?
Just as accurate as a GPS.
(Or am I just showing my age)

Last edited by Rob (9/01/2018 3:51 am)

9/01/2018 1:30 pm  #7

Didn't know that was an option - I used the Alltrails.com app  It threw me off in a couple of places where the actual trail deviated from the trail on the map.  In one case, there was an old trail shown on the app to get to Maggie Lake and I passed right by it.  When I saw that on the app, I turned around to find it and while I could see that a trail used to exist there, it was clear that it hadn't been used in years.

re: Rob's comment - the app appeals to anyone with an inner child who drove their parents crazy yelling "Are we there yet?" from the back seat of the car.  I would reward myself at the top of tough climbs by looking at the app to see how far my little blue dot had come along and how much farther I had to go. Sure, I could just live in the moment and appreciate the nature around me and "get there when I get there", but that would not have been nearly as fun.  Plus, I got bragging rights at the end of the 6 days when I could look at my 'moving time' on the app and see my pace and all those other fun stats.

Annie

9/02/2018 5:05 pm  #8

Yeah it's really just meant as a toy. While the communicator is good for sending messages I'm not relying on it for pure navigation as the trail is well marked. It's just nice to glance at the Garmin and know that the next waypoint is x km away.

Having to plot location on a map and then pull out string and try to match the contour/course of the trail doesn't sound as much fun.

I will say that the earthmap and GPS saves a lot of time when following routes on actual routes without signs or visible trails if you are following a GPX route tracked by someone else. Wow I wrote "route" quite a lot in this post!

Last edited by human (9/02/2018 5:06 pm)

10/20/2018 12:48 pm  #9

Hi ATVenture, just wanted to say that I used the Avenza map last weekend and it worked way better than I thought it would. Was pretty spot on for showing eactly where I was on the trail. My fancy inreach took forever to get a gps fix in the trees when starting the day but the phone had no issues. Thanks for the tip!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.