You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/26/2018 3:39 pm  #1

Lupus lake in the fall?

Hi everyone, anyone know what lupus lake on the uplands trail is like in the fall. I've seen photos and seems nice in the summer.

Jeff's map shows the two sites on the southern side of the lake. Will the sites be real dark? Maggie's lake on the south side is real dark and I'm trying to find a nice lake with sun for a fall trip that is close to an access point.

Thanks in advance.

9/26/2018 4:25 pm  #2

Re: Lupus lake in the fall?

To be honest, you'd be better off trying to book Thunder Lake. Very sunny.

Site i remember on Lupus (didn't stay there, just had lunch on my way) was small, down a steep slope from the trail on a kind of flattish shelf.Southeast location, and a bit shielded from the lake by some vegetation. It would get some late afternoon sun I guess. The sites on all three of those east-side lakes (Lupus, Redwing, and Susan) seemed pretty lacklustre to me. Others may disagree.

I'm going to be hiking the trail next week. I will try to remember to take some pics for you.

9/26/2018 4:33 pm  #3

Thanks for the info. Going to pay a fortune in change fees. Already moved dates and may now change the actual lake.

9/27/2018 8:28 pm  #4

Now I'm thinking of head lake, I remember staying there in the spring time a few years back and thought it was pretty nice but maybe that was beacause it was my first visit to algonquin. Islet it always an option but the access is another hour of driving and I remember only one spectacular site, which Iluckily snagged

Anyone remember Head (highland trail) lake in the fall? Scarce photos online . . .

Normally on my own, I'd hike all day and campsite selection really wouldn't bother me, but with my girlfriend looking for a place to stay a few nights at.

Last edited by human (9/27/2018 8:29 pm)

9/27/2018 9:23 pm  #5

I recently got a "canoe" permit for the only site on Brown Lake and then I "portaged" all the way from the access point. In total it's less than a 5 hour hike but the last hour was spent bushwhacking over terrain that was sometimes steep and full of large rocky outcroppings. The site was very nice, with a fire pit on a skinny peninsula that juts northward into the lake where it ends on rocky point that has a perfect seat (may be able to squeeze two) that faces you towards the southwest. Finding shelter from wind may be a problem but this might be an adventure worth considering.

10/04/2018 12:24 pm  #6

As promised, here are some pics of the two sites on Lupus Lake.

Both are unappealing, but of the two, I'd take the north site.

The south site is a desperation site only..there is one flat spot possible big enough for one human if they don't roll around too much, and the land is low and swampy, completely in shade. Shelter from a storm if you were canoeing. 

The north site is literally on the trail...the trail cuts between the best tentpad and the firepit.

Again, given a choice of sites along that stretch of trail, I'd take Thunder Lake. There are two sites. The one with its own side trail is much preferred, open and sunny until the afternoon anyway. The other site on Thunder is literally on the trail--it's not bad, but literally on the trail, looking out onto the lake where it is less expansive than the best site..

https://neelands.smugmug.com/Other/n-2qW5R/Lupus-Lake-campsite-pics

Last edited by Methye (10/04/2018 12:30 pm)

10/04/2018 4:18 pm  #7

Thanks by the time I got around to changing the res everything was booked for my weekend appreciate the heads up!

Edit just saw the photos thanks for the detail!

Really appreciated.

Last edited by human (10/04/2018 4:20 pm)

10/05/2018 7:59 pm  #8

Ok looks like people cancelled head lake. I've booked it, from memory it was a decent place to camp. Heading out the weekend after Thanksgiving. Thanks for those photos!

10/06/2018 6:34 am  #9

human wrote:

Ok looks like people cancelled head lake. I've booked it, from memory it was a decent place to camp. Heading out the weekend after Thanksgiving. Thanks for those photos!

The best site on Head Lake is the one in the middle on the north shore section of sites. On Jeffs map it shows as a canoe-in site but it is signed on the backpacking trail as both. 

10/06/2018 9:20 am  #10

Thanks for the tip! I'll look out for it, don't want to get into an argument with canoers, hope really is clearly marked as both.

10/20/2018 7:01 am  #11

Stayed at head lake last weekend. The canoe site had a sign on the trail saying canoe site only. I stayed at a backpacking site. Got pretty cold that weekend but survived.

Had a chipmunk poke me in the jewels while on the thunderbox the last morning there! I guess the cold air made em look like hairy little acorns! He was getting back at me for not sharing any food with him.

here's the water access at the campsite I stayed at.

Last edited by human (10/20/2018 12:46 pm)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.