You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/18/2018 1:53 pm  #1

Silky Saw?

Does anyone here use a Silky Saw?  In my quest for a better saw for processing firewood, this brand came up as being a really awesome tool.  I see MEC carries a couple models....a bit pricey but from all the reviews I've read they seem to cut through wood like butter...

10/18/2018 2:37 pm  #2

Re: Silky Saw?

I've never liked that style of saw. Much prefer a folding buck saw like this one:

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5047-166/Buckster-Bow-Saw?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpaui792Q3gIVx4CfCh2Mnw4wEAYYCCABEgKXx_D_BwE

Or the Boreal saws:

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5051-337/Boreal-21-Saw

That Filzer tube saw looks like a copy of a tube saw that was originally made in the maritimes that I've been using for 15 years or so. I'm not sure about the length of the Filzer one MEC is sell, but my tube saw is a standard piece of equipment for us. 

10/18/2018 2:57 pm  #3

Waster of money IMHO. Just paying for a bushcraft 'Brand'. You could buy a Corona Razor Tooth at Lowes on sale for $18. Side by side tests it beats both the Bachco Laplander ($42.50) and Silky Gomboy ($60).

10/18/2018 3:54 pm  #4

hi steve
 i have a silky saw and several of my friends have one as well,,, great little saw, no complaints thus far,, keep in mind the harder the steel the more brittle it becomes, be careful not to horse it, let the blade do the work. i got my silky from amazon,, 
   i up graded from the old trailblazer saw from halifax,,

Last edited by swedish pimple (10/18/2018 3:55 pm)

10/19/2018 6:40 am  #5

Silky is the choice of many arborist's.  My wife  owns one for home use and it stays sharp and cuts like butter.  As stated by SP don't horse it and it will last a life time.  It is on my wish list for camp gear (my wife won't let me take her's on the trail - she is an arborist).

10/19/2018 8:07 am  #6

swedish pimple wrote:

i up graded from the old trailblazer saw from halifax,,

Hey Swede,

Can you elaborate on the "upgraded" part? I love my Trailblazer and still use it. I've gone through a few blades over the years and had to add some washers to the tensioner but it's still going strong. 

10/19/2018 10:33 am  #7

yes,, the trail blazer is a good saw,,,,i have had mine since 1988,,,not as compact as the silky,  i like to just unfold the blade and go to work cutting,, the silky fits my pack better too,,   i think it all boils down to personal choice,, silky weights less if you count grams,,,

10/19/2018 10:48 am  #8

Thanks, good info. 

10/19/2018 12:26 pm  #9

Thanks folks this is good info for sure

10/19/2018 4:14 pm  #10

I have one Steve.  Don’t like it as much as my Laplander. Don’t really  use it anymore.

If weight isn’t an issue.

https://www.canadianoutdoorequipment.com/bob-dustrude-folding-buck-saw.html

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.