You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/14/2018 7:07 pm  #1

The North Face Gift Card....what to do?

From time to time we see posts about how well a company backs up its' warranty, and I have to add The North Face to the list of the good.  We had a North Face Tadpole 2 tent that failed this year.  It was a design flaw.  The fly has Velcro loops that attach to the tent poles.  The Velcro loops are sewn to small fabric strips, and the fabric strips are attached to the fly by seam sealer - not sewn in.  Of course they tore off, and then the tent leaked.  It isn't the kind of thing you'd think to look for when buying a tent, and even if you thought of it you wouldn't have picked up on it. I sent the tent to The North Face, and since the tent is discontinued, they sent me a gift card for the original purchase price of the tent (which I bought on sale).  Meet your newest lottery winner: $289.

Suggestions?  I need a tent, but I didn't think much of their current offerings, plus many are pretty pricey.  They have a 70 litre backpack I like, but the diameter of the main compartment is 15", and that'll be a struggle to get my sleeping back in.  Anybody familiar with North Face gear, jackets, rain gear, base layers, tech gear, etc., to the point where you've got a suggestion or two?  I could use a really good winter coat but it is hard to wade through all the ones they offer.  Maybe I just see what the family needs and go from there.  I dunno.....  

10/14/2018 8:42 pm  #2

Re: The North Face Gift Card....what to do?

They used to make some nice three-part winter jacket systems. Inner fleece, outer goretex shell with polyfill. Think it was the triclimate model.

These days I might buy their stuff for fashion, but their target customer base is less technical than it used to be, I think.

11/27/2018 9:08 pm  #3

Re: The North Face Gift Card....what to do?

I have the Chilkat 400 boots and they have been good to me so far. Good warmth and I’m a big fan of primaloft in my winter boots. They get good reviews to comparable winter boots. Other than that I’m not too familiar with other North Face offerings.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.