You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/03/2018 4:17 pm  #18

Re: Two paddles, or not two paddles, that is the question

When in a canoe I always bring / have brought an extra paddle.  But used to hardly ever bring a spare in a kayak.  My thought was that there's lots more room comparatively in a canoe vs a kayak (my first kayak dint have enough deck strapping to hold paddle) so simply never bothered in a kayak...

Murphy's law the only time I've needed a spare was in my kayak.  Thankfully I was with my buddies (they were in canoe), and we had a spare canoe paddle.  As we were doing the Pet R from Travers L we rented canoe / paddles, so the paddles we had were the heavy metal ones.  I didn't lose my paddle, but as I was paddling in shallower water one of my paddle blades got wedged between rocks, and given the speed of the river I was moving pretty quickly so the one blade snapped off.  We ended up tying the spare canoe paddle to the kayak paddle.  It was a workout for sure given how heavy it was, but it sure did save a lot of trouble...:-)

10/04/2018 6:56 pm  #19

dontgroandaddy wrote:

I'm worried about missing the turn on the 3400 from David to Rosebary, and I'm worried about getting across the creek on that carry.  But every time I mention the 1400 from Tim to Queer, those who comment tell me the forecast calls for pain.  It doesn't look like there will be many people around, so I should be able to swear and, more importantly, cry, as much as I want.

I can't see how it's possible to miss the turn - it's wide open at aprox. at 30-45 degree angle to the road you travel. If I'd need to reduce my load by 20oz. spare paddle will be the last thing I'd throw away. I broke one on Tim river between Rosebary and Shah for no apparent reason. As for crying - careful weight distribution and some off-season workouts are the best way to dry your tears.

10/04/2018 8:08 pm  #20

I guess now I have to say I would have taken a spare paddle with me.  I ended up not taking the trip.  Three reasons.  1) every time I looked at the weather forecast it was worse.  This would have been night 1, windy day with an overnight low of zero, followed by a cool/rainy weekend.  Not inspiring, to me anyway.  I might have sallied forth, except 2) wicked headcold last few days, little energy available, plus  3) on Monday night we were not sure if doggy would make it through the week, and if decisions needed to be made I needed to be home.  Pleased to report that the old girl rebounded and is doing just fine. 

Anyway, thanks for all the responses, stories, etc.  Much appreciated!   

10/05/2018 8:12 pm  #21

Always carry a modified Otter tail for lakes and a short wide paddle for shallow rivers and mud occasional whitewater.

As was said before, if they have different purposes it doesn't seem like too much extra weight.

3/20/2019 5:20 pm  #22

On my solo trips I use my favourite go to paddle (grey owl). A far as carrying a spare, I simply borrow my kids mini wooden paddle and strap it in side the canoe. The paddle is small and extra light, you wouldn’t even know it’s there on portages

3/20/2019 5:32 pm  #23

I've never taken a spare paddle on a camping trip. I own two carbon fiber kayak paddles, but even so they weigh in at about 1 1/2 pounds each - more than I'm willing to tack onto my pack weight. I do tend to be very careful with my paddle as I'm keenly aware I have no backup, but entry/exit out of a kayak in many conditions requires you to use the paddle as a brace - so you're putting most of your weight on it. 

Sooner or later I'll snap a blade on a solo trip and have an absolutely miserable time getting out. But so far, so good. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.